New Lights For A Juwel 180l

julia298

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I still have the original lights with my juwel 180l tank. I am planning on having a heavily planted tank. I am cleaning out my tank and starting again after having TB in the tank. I have CO2 and fertilisers so just need the right lights.

I have read the threads on lighting and am slightly confused, there are so many different types.

I would like natural daylight tubes. I dont want to mess about with the centre brace in the tank unless absolutley necessary.

Please, could anyone advise me on a make of tubes, model and price? Much appreciated.

Hi

I would just shoot for plant specific tubes-any of the big brands work fine IMO. Arcadia, Dennerle, Hagen. If you want more light, one option would be to substitute the existing unit for a T5 one - Arcadia do one called I-Bar:

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?psu...=10&lan=en&id=4

Aquamedic also do a similar fixutre. They also do high-quality T5 tubes as well.

http://www.aqua-medic.de/freshwater/en/22/suncover/

Not sure about prices, but most LFS should be able to order if they're any good. These options don't require any messing with the brace, which would not be recommended in a Juewl anyway. I use an Arcadia overtank luminaire with 4 VHO T5's on my Rio 125.

Nick

thanks for the links.

Could people put me right on a few things.

The current lights are 25w x2 so thats 1 WPG in a 180l tank... does that sound right?

So for a heavily planted tank, for 2 lights I should be looking at getting about 75watt lights to give me 3 WPG??? Can you get lights with that wattage, none of the sites ive looked at have shown any?

I would only need to get new ballastif I went for T5 lights... ?

The simplest way is to get another ballast and the same size tube as you already have.
Tubes tend to be a set length to a set wattage here are the standard t8's
9in. 6w
12in. 8w
15in. 14w
18in. 15w
24in. 18w
30in. 25w
36in. 30w
42in. 38w
48in. 36w
60in. 58w
As to the t5 tubes they use an electronic ballast so yours wont be compatible.
If you look through the hard ware section there is a few links on modifying hoods,

The light unit on my rio 180 was shot so I extended the cables from the four ends to two conventional supplies outside the tank. As the standard unit only gives 1.5wpg my plants wearn't really growing so I've added another tube, I'll have to see if it makes a difference. Can you get higher wattage 36" tubes?

How about these... 65 watt lights

Anybody think theyd be any good? 2 x 65 w would provide just over 2 1/2WPG.

Still not enough :/

The simplest way is to get another ballast and the same size tube as you already have.
Tubes tend to be a set length to a set wattage here are the standard t8's

Did RYO mean to have 4 tubes same size as one's I have already? would they fit over the tank?

How about these... 65 watt lights

Anybody think theyd be any good? 2 x 65 w would provide just over 2 1/2WPG.

Thats interesting, the standard Juwel light unit won't handle them though and they are in the USA. I used the ballasts from industrial strip lights (rated at 65W each) when I modified my lights so I shouldn't have that problem as long as Juwel's tube sockets can take that wattage.

Most reactions

Back