New Lightbulb - Which One?

hanny93

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was bought my current tank with no input from me. Everything was in boxes and I just set it all up knowing nothing and just chucked everything in!

Now I realise that the bulb needs to be changed.
The question is, which do i choose?!

I don't want too high light because I have plants and I dont want to be spending loads of money on a CO2 system, so the light needs to be 1wpg or thereabouts - so no more than 16 watts.

I've looked on loads of websites, and it says T5 and T8 - i dont even know what that means and which one is better :/
Then i dont know which one would fit, the current one measures 16", whilst it's still in the end bits, so I'm guessing its a bit longer?

And i think it says 438mm but its worn off so I'm not sure.
Can anyone suggest anything? I'd rather not spend all that money on new bubls etc and then they dont fit :(

T5 and T8 are 2 different types of fluorescent tube. T5 has a smaller diameter tube but outputs a brighter light and uses more power.

To get 1wpg you may have to change if it uses T5. I'm in a similar situation, but it is difficult to get hold of the correct length fittings for my tank, so have blacked out most of one of the tubes.

T5 and T8 are 2 different types of fluorescent tube. T5 has a smaller diameter tube but outputs a brighter light and uses more power.

To get 1wpg you may have to change if it uses T5. I'm in a similar situation, but it is difficult to get hold of the correct length fittings for my tank, so have blacked out most of one of the tubes.

Well I already have 1wpg, my current light is 15 watts. I'm after changing it to perhaps a soft or warm light, would this be detrimental to the health of my plants or would it be the same as a day lite which is what I have now.

Well I already have 1wpg, my current light is 15 watts. I'm after changing it to perhaps a soft or warm light, would this be detrimental to the health of my plants or would it be the same as a day lite which is what I have now.

I assume this is a Juwel tube/tank? Sounds like a T8 if so and it most likely is 438mm

I don't think the type of light matters too much for plants, but my success with plants is poor so somebody else would be better to answer that one

Most reactions

Back