New Large Marine Set Up

ryanwylie

Reaction score
I've decided to try marines and am looking at this set up. I was wondering if some of you could give me an idea what this is worth as it is second hand. I understand the equipment is really expensive to buy new.

14274790a10147935452l.jpg

14274790a10147944450l.jpg

14274790a10147948436l.jpg

14274790a10147957566l.jpg

14274790a10147962097l.jpg

Description by owner:

The tank is aqua medic anthies 120 4' 5" x 2'3" x 2'3" holding 650 liters apx

Arcidea series 3 twin 150w lights with built in timers - sold now so original lights with tank

Custom made sump 100cm x 50cm x50cm holding 250 liters apx

120kg of fiji grade a live roce some very large pices only selling 60-75% of rock with it now

80kg of carribain live sand

corals and fish sold

loads of snails as they have been breading in the tank i put 75 of them in at the start

IN THE SUMP THEN WE HAVE

TMC v2 1000 skimmer + spare body

1lt Rofoss reacter + 1lt Carbon reactor

2x 300w heaters

4 tubs of miracle mud apx 20kg

loads of good algae in sump

ocean runner 6500lph return pump - nowselling 3500LPH pump with it now

TMC V2 UV sterliser only 6 months old

OUT OF THE SUMP HARDWARE

Aqua medic Mv computer - Seller not wanting to sell this with it within my budget

Aqua Digital ozone generator 0-350mgl Seller not wanting to sell this within my budget

ph monitor

Tempeture computer turning on fans when water gets to hot and turning on heaters when water gets to cold

Auto top up system - will keep water levels right 24/7

A proper Refractometer

Loads of lab grade test kits + D&D po4 tests

50kg of salt mix red sea

aqua medic mega mag for cleaning inside glass

There is loads of other bits and peices as well

What do you guys think of this? I think it is a good enough set up, this would be my first marine set up and it seems to be a well thought out set up.

Point is, what do you fellow marine keepers think this set up is worth - realistically seeing as it will take a day or two to move, a lot of effort, it has to be moved 60 miles. Also bearing in mind how many people would come to actually buy this and be bothered with this hughe move.

I would really like this but I have a limited budget - all opinions welcome!

Thanks

Ryan

Hi

I've only just started marines myself, but having just spent somewhere in the region £800 in the last 2 days, and i'm yet to buy live rock, all i can say is yes it is expensive to start up.

Regarding this equipment you are looking at, its more whether you are willing to pay the asking price for a running set-up?

As for the hard work in collecting it and the distance involved, unfortunately thats the buyers issue rather than the selllers.

check out fleabay just to compare prices, to give a better idea of whether its a good deal.

Wait do you have a price from him? Tough to say as used stuff varies widely in price depending on what the seller thinks he/she can get for it.

Brand new the tank is 1000 GBP. The sump setup is probably worth a good 500 pounds. Rock would be close to 1000 pounds too brand new from the store. Misc stuff would probably total up to another 500 pounds or so. So brand new (minus the ozonizer, lights, and controller) you'd pay around 3K to get it all.

I have an offer on it at well less than 1k at the minute. I know it is worth a bit, but where we are I dont imagine many people keep salt water fish therefore who would want it, apart from myself of course. Should know over the weekend if im taking it or not.

looks a really nice set up - but will be a real issue moving all the equipment and livestock - looks like you would need a lot of containers for the lr and then some more for corals and live stock - that is a lot of stuff to move successfully for a first time salty! You will need a van I would suspect and several people to help move it all - you will then need to very quickly get it set up again at your home and again, if you are a newbie to salt this might be a problem.

There is an advantage to buying things slowly, you learn as you go along and can ask loads of questions - you can still buy second hand and get bargains.

this i must admit sounds a mammoth taks for a newbie - maybe you know a salty who is going to help you ?

Seffie x

:fish:

I have a couple of vans and plenty of help at the ready for all this, but im still negotiating the price with the guy. Fish and corals are sold, as are the lights. He wont sell the RO unit he has, the MV computer and ozone thingy, and will only sell 65% of the rock. Not looking like im going to buy this I dont think.

I dont know anyone at all that is into saltwater fish - though im joining a fish keepers club at the start of march so that should be a help!

I have a couple of vans and plenty of help at the ready for all this, but im still negotiating the price with the guy. Fish and corals are sold, as are the lights. He wont sell the RO unit he has, the MV computer and ozone thingy, and will only sell 65% of the rock. Not looking like im going to buy this I dont think.

I dont know anyone at all that is into saltwater fish - though im joining a fish keepers club at the start of march so that should be a help!

So what he is really selling is the tank and sump with original lighting? plus some lr - How much is he asking and how much you willing to pay?

If you have the man power and the van, there are no corals and no fish it could be do-able for a newbie, although you might have trouble with setting the sump up if yoy haven't got good instructions.

Its a good tank, so let us know how much he is asking etc and then we can give you a better idea :good:

Also, put your location under you name so people who live close to you know - you never know if you are close to one of the members they might offer to help set up :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

Most reactions

Back