New Huge Tank... When To Add New Fish?

Eloise

Reaction score
I just filled with tap water my new 130 gallons tank yesterday morning (72X18X24). I've de-chlorinated it. Its temperature is good and stable (79F). The water is still a bit cloudy because of the new gravel. I am wondering how long should I wait before adding any fish? And then, at what rate should I keep adding new fish? As the aquarium is so big, can I add them faster than usual?

I suppose I could add the plants tomorrow or today, but what about the fish? I know that I should start with the smallest ones, to allow them to settle their territories. I'll add the large, aggressive severums and my blood parrot last.

first you need to CYCLE your tank, when it is cycled you it is safe to add the fish, what fish are you thinking of putting in there, as some are more sensitive so would need to be added last :good:

Like Lilfishie said - cycle your tank before you put any fish in it or they're in for a rough ride ... Fishless cycle works best and if you have some or have a friend who can supply you with some old filter media (from a healthy tank) that's even better... It's gonna be a while before you can safely add fish in there - but that way you're not risking any lives. good luck

I've already got a 40 gallons tank running. It cycles perfectly: I've had it for a year and a half, and there's no ammoniac nor nitrites. I'll probably transfer some gravel and water, to help speed up the new cycling process.

So far, I've only started cycling aquaria with live fish (usually a small severum - has always survived and fared well), but I'd love to learn to cycle my new tank without any fish, as I don't want to hurt them. Now I just have to find ammoniac...

I've already got a 40 gallons tank running. It cycles perfectly: I've had it for a year and a half, and there's no ammoniac nor nitrites. I'll probably transfer some gravel and water, to help speed up the new cycling process.

So far, I've only started cycling aquaria with live fish (usually a small severum - has always survived and fared well), but I'd love to learn to cycle my new tank without any fish, as I don't want to hurt them. Now I just have to find ammoniac...
What stock is in the 40 gallon? If it's fully stocked with fish you can borrow sponge and ceramic media from its filter to help kick start your filter (gravel and water contain little if any bacteria). Fishless cycle is dead easy. Just follow the add & wait method from the link in my sig. With mature media from your other filter you will greatly shorten the time your fishless cycle takes. Main advantages are that no fish are exposed to harmful levels of ammonia and nitrite and you can fully stock your tank on the very day you complete your fishless cycle.

:good:

Transferring water from your established tank won't make any difference in the new one; the bacteria you need don't live in water, they live mainly on established filter media and, to a lesser extent, on gravel. Transfer some filter media from your other tank to the new one, then start adding ammonia and doing water tests. If you don't have a liquid test kit, please buy one. It's the only way you'll know when the new tank is safe for fish.

use some of the media from the other filter and some bactinettes too and add some hardy fish all at once
keep a eye on params job done

Most reactions

Back