New Here, New to the hobby.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hendo511

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the hobby. I have recently purchased a Fluval Flex 15 gallon. I have done nothing with it yet as I am still doing research. My brother in-law has two massive planted tanks, so I had to get into this hobby. I really have been researching for over two years. I know what I want, but what I want and can achieve, that's the problem. My ideas for the 15 gallon are as follows. Heavily planted with beginner plants low light requirements due to the LED on the flex. 10 Neon Tetras, 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 Bristlenose Plecos, and probably a few snails or shrimp. I also thought of the rosey red minnows. I have just ordered a freshwater test kit to check my parameters, will be updating soon. I know the fish I stated before will be fine, because my brother in-law had the same types of fish at one time. I will still check though. I already have the substrate, Fluval Eco, and some fine aquarium sand. I also have multiple rocks and some drift wood from the local fish store, water heater, thermometer, and extra filter media, like bio balls, filter floss, and ceramic. I am retiring soon so maintenance will not be an issue. I will have a ton of extra time. I will upgrade to a bigger tank in the future. Nice to meet all of you.

v/r
Hendo511

On the fish, I think the tank is too small for 1 bristlenose, let alone 2, with a footprint of 15 x 16 inches (41 x 39 cm). They need a tank at least 24 inches long, I'm afraid.

Neons and harlequins also really need a tank 24 inches long as well - these cubic tanks are hard to stock because they have the volume but not the swimming length of rectangular tanks. But as they are not fast swimming fish they may be OK but I'd get more harlequins - at least 10.

Hi & welcome to TFF... :hi:
Those tetras and rasboras need a tank that's broad with their swimming behavior.

I have to admit that my harlequins do swim back and forth using the whole of my 42 inch/107 cm tank.

I have just ordered a freshwater test kit to check my parameters
Does this include a hardness (GH) tester? If not, your water provider's website should have that information; you need a number and the unit of measurement as there are several they could use. If you are on a well, fish stores will test the water for you.
The fish you have mentioned are all soft water fish. If you can confirm this, there are soft water fish more suited to this tank than neons or harlequins. Or if you have hard water, there are hard water fish which would be suitable.

I'm also new, but I'll try to give you an idea that might work better for what you are trying to do. I have read and seen pics of people who have set up tanks similar to yours with a large rock in the center, effectively creating a circular track for swimming infinite distances. I don't have personal experience with this, and if your fish don't seem to use it like that you may still end up needing a bigger tank.

I spent eight years in Hawaii scuba and skin diving at least three times a week, just because a fish commonly sprints 60 foot distances doesn't mean he isn't happy dropping into that reef hole and swimming around in circles as long as the food, current, and temperature suit him. It also doesn't necessarily mean that species would have to be kept in a 60 foot tank. Your tank is never going to exactly replicate all aspects of a natural habitat. Just as with all living things, be sure to monitor health and behavior.

Here is the list of everything I bought.
Fluval Flex 15 Gallon (black)
Freesea 100 watt heater
Fluval shrimp and plant stratum
api freshwater master test kit
api leaf zone
api aquarium start up pack - stress coat + quick start
caribsea aquarium sand

I found out my water hardness is usually 104ppm. So I guess I need to change my ideas a little. So any suggestions would be awesome. I am just going to start cycling the tank as soon as it is delivered. So it should be ready in about a month. I am in no hurry to buy fish. I have plants already. I will include a list below of my plants. They currently sitting in a 5 gallon bucket with an aerator and an 7500k LED light. They are doing great.

Plants
Anubis Barteri
Hornwort
Moneywort
Amazon Sword
Dwarf Sagitaria
Red Melon Sword
Anubius Coin
Hygrophila Araguaya
Java Fern
Vallisnaria

This is everything I have. I would like any ideas for stocking. I would like a awesome little tank to start and in about a year I will upgrade to a larger one. Maintenance does not matter, for I am retired and have tons of free time.

v/r
Hendo511

I found out my water hardness is usually 104ppm

That's nice soft water, it converts to 5.8 dH for those who prefer that unit.

Some of the smaller fish such as ember tetras or one of the Boraras species would be suitable. These small fish do need a big shoal of at least 10, and a well planted tank which you are providing. Shrimps would also be OK at this hardness, I suggest cherry shrimps in any of their colours would be a good starter shrimp. Just one colour though as mixing colours will end up as all brown a few generations down the line.

Edited to add links

Last edited:
That's nice soft water, it converts to 5.8 dH for those who prefer that unit.

Some of the smaller fish such as ember tetras or one of the Boraras species would be suitable. These small fish do need a big shoal of at least 10, and a well planted tank which you are providing. Shrimps would also be OK at this hardness, I suggest cherry shrimps in any of their colours would be a good starter shrimp. Just one colour though as mixing colours will end up as all brown a few generations down the line.

Edited to add links
Thankyou, I am looking them up now.

What kind? Where? How to find them? How big do they get? Are they colorful? (KIDS)... lol
This could get really long winded and drawn out but the short answer is they are about 1 1/2 to 5 inches in length depending on species and not particularly pretty except to a fish nut. Go look up NANFA ( North American Native Fish Association ) and download the sample copy of their monthly journal. There is an article in there on Fundulus notti. Fundulus species can be dip netted close to shore easily. Me ? I have an outing planned soon to hunt the elusive Plains Killifish ( Fundulus zebrinus ) up here in the wilds of Montana.

This is the setup. Just got everything together. I like the layout. I saved room for the plants. Plants will be here tomorrow, maybe Saturday. Hope its good enough to be here.
20220330_190206.jpg

Attachments

• 20220330_192230.jpg
    20220330_192230.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220330_192240.jpg
    20220330_192240.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 28

Most reactions

Back