New Here And New To Fish.

AmandaB

Reaction score
Hi, my names Amanda, I'm 23 and currently live in Iowa.

I have just gotten my fish fish tanks and am still real new to taking care of fish. I belong to a dog forum and have learned so much from it I decided to join a fish forum in hopes of learning more about fish keeping.

I have Tiger Barbs and German Blue Rams (in separate tanks).

Just put up all the info (tank sizes, ph of local water, temp you keep both tanks at, what you plan to do with the tanks, etc) and i'm sure you'll be looked after

Sure.

Not sure what you mean by are the tanks "cycled" or what the "ph" is...

Each tank has a heater, filter, thermometer that reads right under 80F each tank (not the stick on kind, the kind with the red line inside it) and decor.
Heater they have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808

10 gal tank for the 5 Tiger Barbs (3 regular and 2 green).
This is the tank I bought: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquaculture-Home-Starter-Kit-10-Aquarium-1kt-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10312734

5 gal tank for the 2 German Blue Rams:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Aquarium-Starter-Kit-5-gal/20693704

I have had both tanks and fish for about 5 or 6 months now.

Im not sure what you mean "what i plan to do with the tanks"... I plan on keeping them if thats what your asking. Since I got them set up and added the fish I havent had any problems so far. I joined the forum not to solve problems just to gain more knowledge in general about fish keeping as these are my first tanks. I have read a little from google searches to see what kind of food too feed and that kind of stuff but really dont know much else yet. Thats why i decided to join. :)

I feed OmegaOne to the tiger barbs (supposed to be a better brand) as well as once a week a tiny bit of hikari algae wafer and have ordered worm cone feeders that are coming next week so I can start feeding frozen bloodworms (i have fed freeze dried bloodworms to the tigers but they werent THAT interested, have also tried peas but again no interest.)

The German Blue Rams I have really found it hard to find info on (or info that agrees) but when i bought them the lady said they fed them mini aqueon cichlid pellets so thats what Im feeding. I have read they can have bloodworms and will try some on them late next week when the feeder cones come.

Oh and I use Tetra AquaSafe when i do my bi weekly or monthly water changes.

Hi, my names Amanda, I'm 23 and currently live in Iowa.

I have just gotten my fish fish tanks and am still real new to taking care of fish. I belong to a dog forum and have learned so much from it I decided to join a fish forum in hopes of learning more about fish keeping.

I have Tiger Barbs and German Blue Rams (in separate tanks).

Hi Amanda. I had tiger barbs for four years. I highly recommend you to get more as many as possible. They need large group to make their aggressiveness less. I started with eleven. First they nipped their tank mates till the death . After that they started to kill each other. My water was great condition my tank was pretty big. It is just their personality. At the beginning they were very cute friendly guys. They really need to be in a large group.

Jalena,

I cant get anymore than 5 since they are in a 10 gallon. I was told schooling fish need a minimum of 5 or 6. They dont bug each other and there has been no fin nipping yet, but my goodness have they grown since I got them. I went to the petstore for more food last week and looked at the tigers in the tanks and they are TINY compared to mine. I didnt notice them growing that much! :D

Most reactions

Back