New Here :) Also A Question (betta Related)

Rainmaker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I found this forum last night while flicking through Google looking for new Betta stuff to read :good: I have five Bettas at the moment (see sig), with more on order. It's getting addictive - FAST! I quit smoking a couple of months ago so it beats setting my cash on fire I guess lol

I picked up a blue male PK Betta from a Maidenhead aquatics store earlier today, sheerly on impulse having spotted him while looking at their tanks etc, as I'd never seen PKs in a LFS before. I should point out I always have at least 10 litres of pre-conditioned dechlorinated and acclimated water and a few spare tanks on standby for times like this BTW! :blush:

It was only on the way home we noticed (or rather, my mate did) that his left gill (or gill cover?) seems to be "bent" out of shape, as though he's continually flaring on one side of his face. It looks like he's been knocked, or caught it somehow in the past and it's just bent out of shape. It's a solid piece of anatomy, not a flimsy cover, which made me think it was his actual gill at first. But on closer inspection it seems that his gill is still flapping away behind it so I guess not.

Any ideas? He's fine and flaring away when he spots one of my other guys, and is eating and swimming just fine. Could this fix in time or is he damaged, do you think? I can't really get a pic as he's only small and my camera is rubbish! Hopefully someone recognises the description and can offer some advice.

Speaking more generally, I LOVE my Bettas! I'm especially enjoying PKs and tbh with few exceptions I far prefer them to VTs etc. I do like some of the more colourful CTs and so on, but PKs really do it for me. :) I've been trying to check out the UK breeders and importers but it seems there's only really a couple? BettaLady, BettaBred, BettaParadise and KG Bettas. If I've missed anyone, PLEASE let me know as I'm actively looking to expand my collection atm. I'm hoping to have the PK listed below by the middle of this week and my Mum just bought me the orange HM below, as it's my birthday on the 23rd and family know exactly what I want... lol :good: :wub: :drool:

betta-pk-green-red-male.jpg

betta-ct-orange-male.jpg

I look forward to becoming part of the community and hopefully learning a lot.
Cheers,

Lee :)

WELCOME!!!!

Nice to see a new face :good:

One of my bettas Radish had exactly what your little guy had and his cleared up in a few days with clean water and a half dose of melafix everyday (about 30 drops)

Good luck with him and i'm sure everyone will make you feel very welcome here, there a friendly bunch ;) :D :p

^ thats exactly what i would suggest, just keep your water good and add some melafix =]

Welcome by the way!

My favourite bettas are crowntails but i never find them around i always see Plakats! in fact my maidenhead just got a lovely halfmoon red male, he is beautiful and and orange plakat LOVELY...but seriously I'll stop rambling now

hope you enjoy your time here =]

Welcome, it is going to be exciting to see how your collection grows. Please show us pictures (we can never get enough! lol) Very jealous. Those two above are gorgeous!

Thanks for the nice warm welcome folks! I'll be sure to keep you all up to date, and take plenty of pics once the new guys arrive :) Also nice to hear that the gill cover thing likely isn't serious and should go away soon. I'll grab the additive you recommended tomorrow :good:

MewMew, the red HM and orange PK sound interesting... Whereabouts in Manchester? :devil: :ninja:

Kate, I'm in Southport (North West England).

Well, the orange HM fell through. I'd paid for him but the guy spotted he'd nipped his dorsal fin and he may be stressed, so he's refusing to send him to me. I wish all suppliers were that ethical!! So I'm given first pick of the next batch, which have shipped from Thailand today. That, or I can have a pair of high black (not melano, so fertile!) PKs. Decisions decisions! I got four LFS females today also :)

I'll grab photos by weekend when everyone's here and finished being set up nicely!

Well, the orange HM fell through. I'd paid for him but the guy spotted he'd nipped his dorsal fin and he may be stressed, so he's refusing to send him to me. I wish all suppliers were that ethical!! So I'm given first pick of the next batch, which have shipped from Thailand today. That, or I can have a pair of high black (not melano, so fertile!) PKs. Decisions decisions! I got four LFS females today also :)

I'll grab photos by weekend when everyone's here and finished being set up nicely!

When i saw that orange one on eBay, it said there were like 5 for sale.. Doesn't it say you don't get the one pictured?

When i saw that orange one on eBay, it said there were like 5 for sale.. Doesn't it say you don't get the one pictured?

No he was the last one left, but unfortunately the seller noticed a nip in his dorsal fin and thus didn't wish to ship him. The seller has, however, been more than helpful since! I can 110% recommend the guy to anyone, he really has gone the extra mile (or ten!) for us and we have reached a very satisfactory agreement! ;) :good:

I'll have fish available from spawns on and off, depending on success rates and such. Always welcome to contact me to see if anything is available :good:

I'll have fish available from spawns on and off, depending on success rates and such. Always welcome to contact me to see if anything is available :good:

Thanks! :good: I've got about £175 worth of Bettas arriving next week, so my hands are full for now! :hey: But after that, I'll definitely be giving you a PM to see what you have. Cheers. :)

Hi
Only just noticed this thread:) But thought i would add my thoughts. Melafix is not going to help in this situation. Melafix is a natural anti-bacterial agent and it has been documented that it can irritate the labyrinth organs of anabantoids. With your fish having a sticky out gill flap, the melafix will probably only cause more irritation. The person who said that melafix helped, was probably mistaken into believing it did, but in truth the gill flap rectified itself.

I personally only use melafix in small doses to assist when medicating wounds or injury. I also use to clean empty tanks and decor:)

Here's three of the females I got from Kelly at BettaBred.co.uk this week. Excellent service and wonderful fish! :D

Cambo style HMPK:
cambo-red-plakat-female.jpg

My green and red PK (sister and future mate to the green/red PK in the OP). Both parents were royal blue and orange, so I will be looking forward to seeing what comes out of this pairing!
green-red-plakat-female.jpg

Honey PK:
honey-plakat-female.jpg

I'll get pics of the boys when I figure out how to take great pics using a rubbish camera through IAL water LOL ;)
Cheers.

Most reactions

Back