New Fry

FOGGY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My guppy is now dropping her fry, but they are being eatenas quick as they pop out, I put her in a breeding net to safeguard the fry, but she seems to love em!!!! I have now put some plant growth in to them hide, any other suggestions, help quick please. :sad:

You could try getting a floating breeding trap, its like a small plastic tank that floats within the main tank, you put the mother inside (top bit) and when she drops the fry, because they are so small they fall into a lower compartment, safe from everyone.

I have used one of these before and the bottom compartment has slots in it to let fresh water in, the fry tend to swim out to the waiting hungry fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I agree with you there i found that coz they are sooo tiny that they pop up in between the grids :/ . All i can suggest is watch her drop and then fish them out b4 she has a chance to munch on them, i usually left my pregnant females in the community tank to pop them out as i found that they got very stressed in a breeding hatch or net. I then fished them out with the net.

More places to hide in a community tank

thats what I do is what for her to pop them out and catch them with a net and I bought be a 10 gallon bare tank and put them in we had a run of luck we knew somebody who used to own a pet store and we got some of his filters and pumps ect. So you can call it a run of luck cause I dont know about the reat of you but where I live at fish keeping is a costly hobby very costly.

put nylon stocking on the slots so they can't swim out. just a suggestion,,,ive never had the problem before :blink:

I got me one of those plastic breeder boxes and I think they work great guppies are a little smaller than mollies but I still cant see them swimming out of those little water lines I didnt lose one baby due to being eating.

steve-0 said:
put nylon stocking on the slots so they can't swim out. just a suggestion,,,ive never had the problem before :blink:
i was just about to suggest some old fish neting i hadnt thaught of that. good thinking

Just have LOADS of feathery weeds for the sprogs to hide in - don't worry about them getting eaten - it will help to keep the numbers balanced in the tanks.

Most reactions

Back