New Fishies!

ibbledibble

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I had been eying up some bettas on ebay, and i noticed the seller was fairly near to me and contacted them about the possibility of collecting in person if i won. anyway i ended up being out when the auction ended and missed out on the one i was after :sad: . however the seller said they had lots of others, and i could come out and see if there was anything i wanted!
so i went out with the intention of getting 1 boy and maybe a couple of girls. and came back with 6!!! 3 of each.
I had to sort out some temporary dividers on a tank for the boys until i have time to sort out their permanent homes, but they seem happy enough for the time being. The girls are in breeding traps for the moment to let the other girls get used to them without any aggression or damage.
so here they are :hyper:

The Boys
Boy #1 blue HM (RT?)
P8200001.jpg

P8200012.jpg

P8200025.jpg

P8200026.jpg

Boy #2 blue/white butterfly SD
P8200008.jpg

P8200021.jpg

P8200022.jpg

P8200023.jpg

Boy #3 blue/white butterfly HMPK (he has already built me a baby bubblenest :D )
P8200003.jpg

P8200004.jpg

P8200020.jpg

P8200017.jpg

P8200015.jpg

The Girls

Girl #1
P8200031.jpg

P8200037.jpg

Girl #2 (an independant woman, she has also built a little bubblenest)
P8200038.jpg

P8200039.jpg

P8200042.jpg

Girl #3
P8200041.jpg

P8200054.jpg

P8200055.jpg

P8200058.jpg

Great lookin fish! :good: Makes mee want to get some

He looks kinda like my riddellin. Accept My Riddy is only a Splendid. But I think he is beautiful.
I do have a question....although my fishie is a splendid, would his dark colors and my girlies bright red n silver/white produce good markings or colors when bred together?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since it was about how pretty these males were, I figured what the heck. Any help in solving the color questions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kelly
The Newbie :blush:

Attachments

• HPIM1093.JPG
    HPIM1093.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 80
He looks kinda like my riddellin. Accept My Riddy is only a Splendid. But I think he is beautiful.
I do have a question....although my fishie is a splendid, would his dark colors and my girlies bright red n silver/white produce good markings or colors when bred together?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since it was about how pretty these males were, I figured what the heck. Any help in solving the color questions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kelly
The Newbie :blush:
i think you mean splendens (not splendid) and all of mine are also splendens too. they are all the same variety, but have been bred to produce different tail types. your boy riddellin (who is very pretty) is a VT which stands for veiltail. have a read of this, there is some useful info there, as well as reading back through this forum, most questions have already been asked several times over, and you can find out a lot by reading through.

if you were to breed him to a cambodian female (which looks like what yours is) you would probably get a few cambodian fry, a few blue fry, and mostly blue with red wash fry, but you could end up with allsorts in there. its difficult to tell from the picture of her (from here) but it looks like she might be VT too (like the male)
HOWEVER,
that being said, i really wouldn't recommend breeding yet. not to sound rude, but if you haven't even read up enough to know that they are all splendens, then you almost certainly haven't read up enough to try breeding them. they are relatively difficult to get to breed (for a novice) and if you get things wrong, you could well end up with a badly damaged or even dead fish (even happens to experienced breeders sometimes).
even if you manage to get them to breed successfully, you are liable to end up with upward of 100 fry, do you have space for that many fish? especially as all the males will need to be separated from each other often by the 8th week.
you should really provide fry with suitable live food, to give them a good start and help growth (microworms, bananaworms, vinegar eels etc for the first week or so, followed by freshly hatched baby brine shrimp) cultures of these (with the exception of the BBS) will need to be set up enough before the spawn to be well established (usually a minimum of a week, more often closer to 2 weeks)
also VT's are the most common variety of tail type, and you might find them harder to get homes for (particularly if you end up with hundreds)

i'm not saying categorically don't breed your bettas, just make sure you know exactly what you are letting yourself in for. make sure you have everything you need set up and ready to go, and make sure you have read up on it as much as possible before you even consider it :good:
lovely colours on them all!!!

congrats! :good: :D
Thanks hun, i'm really pleased with them, but he had so many lovely fish i had a hard time choosing! i was there for about an hour. the poor guy must have been sick of the sight of me! :unsure:
Great pictures, I love the head on shots best!
Hehe thanks, you should see how many pics i had to throw away to get those! i'm especially pleased with the first pic of boy #1 as i've never managed to get a face shot that clear before :hyper:
Great lookin fish! :good: Makes mee want to get some
Thank you, there are people in the US on here who have bred some really stunning fish, get yourself a decent tank setup and i'm sure one of them would be happy to sort out a stunning fish to live in it for you.:good:
awwww ibble they are stunning!! I want them :drool:
Thanks sweetheart, well if you did decide to get back into the obsession (but will it ever win over your motorbike?) he had loads of other stunning males(they came from Kudoo), and i think most of the remaining girls are on ebay at the moment, :lol:
Stunning new babies ibble :good:
Thank you hun, i'm very very pleased with them :D

Also, have no names for them, so suggestions welcome :good:

ive still got nero, i couldnt bring myself to let him go, hes my lil baby :blush:

its so hard not to buy bettas, believe me, i just had to sell a load up to fund repairs on my bike lol

But shes all fixed, running sweet as at the mo lol, only things to do on her are cosmetic, so before i get my snake head i might give breeding a go, well thats still a big maybe for now lol

Most reactions

Back