New Fish List For 125 Gallon

KaNGiX

Reaction score
Ok folks after a long post a few weeks back I came to the conclusion due to pH that I should revamp things. So after a few hours of research this is what I've devised for a stocking list. Please share any thoughts.

The Dimensions are:

125 gallon - 48 1/2 x 24 1/4 x 25 1/2. There are two 110 3 Stage Aqua clear filters(500GPH each). The substrate is a shell / gravel mix.

Now All of my test Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are showing 0 and have been for last 2 weeks. I've started to add some fish Here are my plans. Oh ya the pH of my tap water is 8. So I've tried to build the tank around that pH as much as possible.

Stocking List

Hi Fin Swordtail, Blood Red (pair) X1 @4" = 8" 45.00*******

Bolivian Ram X4 @3" = 12" (2-pair) (little concerned about him in tank pH up to 7.5)

Madagascan Rainbow X6 @6" = 36"*******

Guppies X8 @2 = 16"*******

Bristle Nose Pleco (albino) X2 @4" Total 8"

Pearl Gouramis X3 @6" = 18 ******

Clownloach X3 @ 6 = 18 (yes 1 foot, but i can downgrade back to a smaller size at LFS)

FW - X-Ray Pristella Tetra X6 @2" = 12 *****

***** Fish that all fall fairley close to each other, in terms of water specs. Most the others are not in the pH range and are shy by around .5 - .7 away from my 8. I plan to have a stable pH and not add stuff to change it.

Madagascan Rainbow
(Bedotia gaeyi)
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 68-75° F, pH 7.5-8.5, KH 10-15
Max. Size: 6"
Color Form: Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Madagascar
Family: Athterinidae

Bolivian Ram
(Microgeophagus altispinosa)
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Water Conditions: 72-79° F, pH 6.5-7.5, KH 0-10
Max. Size: 3"
Color Form: Tan
Origin: Bolivia, Brazil, South America
Family: Cichlidae

Pearl Gourami
(Trichogaster leeri)
QUICK STATS
Water Conditions: 75-86° F, pH 6.5-8.0, KH 5-18
Max. Size: 4"
Color Form: Clear, White
Origin: Borneo, Malaysia, Sumatra
Family: Belontiidae

Neon Blue Tux Guppy
(Poecilia reticulata)
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Water Conditions: 64-82° F, pH 5.5-8.0, KH 10-30
Max. Size: 2½"
Color Form: Blue, Clear, Red, Yellow
Origin: Captive-bred in Asia, Central America to Brazil
Family: Poeciliidae

Bushy Nose Pleco L-144
(Ancistrus sp.)
QUICK STATS
Water Conditions: 74-79° F, pH 6.5-7.4, KH 6-10
Max. Size: 4½"
Color Form: Orange, Tan, White
Origin: South America
Family: Loricariidae

Hi Fin Swordtail, Blood Red
(Xiphophorus helleri)
QUICK STATS
Water Conditions: 64-82° F, pH 7.0-8.3, KH 12-30
Max. Size: 4"
Color Form: Red
Origin: China
Family: Poeciliidae

X-Ray Pristella Tetra
(Pristella maxillaris)
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Water Conditions: 64-82° F, pH 5.8-8.5, KH 4-8
Max. Size: 2"
Color Form: Black, Clear, Pink, Yellow
Origin: Farm Raised - USA
Family: Characidae

Most of the fish you have selected should be OK with a stable pH like the one you have although its not really ideal for them. I am more concerned about the obvious mathmatics you are using. A 6 inch fish should no way be counted as 6 inches if you are trying to use something like the inch per gallon rule. That rule will only really work at all with fish less than 2 or 3 inches. For larger fish, it will get you in trouble with overstocking unless you are looking at very skinny fish that have very little body mass.
Another thing I'm not sure of in your listing is aggression issues. I am not personally experienced with some of the fish you are looking at so I'm just not sure. Maybe someone more familiar with the particular fish can help out there.

I wouldn't get the Clown Loaches because three isn't a large enough shoal and they will grow too large for your aquarium.

I can't personally see a problem, your filtration is more than capable for the tanksize and fish numbers all look fine,

In fact IMO I think you are putting too much emthasis on ph, Yes 8 is fairly high but i think that provided they are all well acclimatised you shouldn't have an issue, the majority of my fish come from SA and would ideally prefer a lower ph than my 7.8 tap water, however they all seem to be thriving and most are easily about 3 years old.

from your stocking i currently keep swordtails, clown loach and ancistrus in Ph of 7.8 (and i have kept a shoal of pristella tetras in this in the past)

Looks fine to me if you can up the clown loach numbers to 6, and get localy bred rams. Rams from Singapore/Asia are used to the low pH of the area they origionate from and often don't aclimatise well. You avoid this problem with local stock, but you also need to expect to pay more for such fish :good:

If you can't find room for 6 clown loach, don't bother with them. In small groups they become unbeliveable timid, thus you probibly won't see them very often. They need the numbers for security :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back