New fish is it sick.

Pennyangus

Reaction score
Just purchased this female betta from the pet shop. I was just floating the bag in the tank and noticed some white on it. I'm very new to bettas so might just be the colouring or does this fish look sick

Attachments

• 20240729_155508.jpg
    20240729_155508.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 380
  • 20240729_155511.jpg
    20240729_155511.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240729_155513.jpg
    20240729_155513.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 31
Hard to tell from the pictures, do you mean white spots or it has patches? Sometimes they can take a while to colour up when they are bought as moving can be stressful. If you can get some pictures once she's in the tank someone may be able to give you a better idea.

The patch on the back of her 'neck' is suspicious. Do not put her in a community tank as it could spread to any other fish.

Just purchased this female betta from the pet shop. I was just floating the bag in the tank and noticed some white on it. I'm very new to bettas so might just be the colouring or does this fish look sick
The white patch on the top could be an illness, or the betta is changing colors. It is normal for some betta to change colors, so I would be cautious.
Does the patch look like a fungus, or do the scales look normal?

Thanks for the reply. Maybe not white patch but it had a discoloured patch above its head. I wouldn't say it looks fluffy or anything like that

Thanks for the reply. Maybe not white patch but it had a discoloured patch above its head. I wouldn't say it looks fluffy or anything like that
It could be a bruise where a net or other object struck it. I used an antibiotic to treat a bruise on a Cory that healed fast. Since you live in the UK, I would try a methylene blue bath for 30 minutes for starters.

Put the fish in a tank on its own and take some clear pictures. Monitor and see how it goes.

Most reactions

Back