New Filter - Media Transfer

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sbenbow

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

The other day I noticed that our filter wasn't pushing out as much volume of water as previously (less rippling of the water surface) - plus it is rather old.

My idea was to buy a new one (exact same model), swap them out, and then I have an "old" spare in case the "new" one ever breaks down.

I just wanted to double check that all I need to do is to swap the filter media (the two sponges inside the filter) over from the old to the new one, and that should be enough to ensure that any current beneficial bacteria is transferred.

eg this is similar to cleaning the filter during a water change, where I put the whole filter in a bucket of tank water, dismantle it in the water, squeeze the filter media gently a couple of times to remove debris (but I clean the rest of the filter parts thoroughly) and replace before transfering from the bucket back to the tank.

Do I need to do anything else?  Should I soak/clean the new filter in a bucket of existing tank water first (eg to remove any dust / particles etc) before inserting it into the tank?  Or am I being a bit paranoid and just swapping the filter media out will be sufficient?

You should rinse the new filter, to make sure there's no dust, definitely. Just under the tap will do though, you don't really need to do it in tank water.

Apart from that, yes, just swap the media over. Do keep feeding to a minimum, and test often, for a couple of days after, just in case you do have a bit of a die back or your bacteria; not very likely, but taking precautions is a good idea, just in case :)

Its is fine to rinse out biomedia when filter flow slows, however there is rarely a need to clean the actual filter itself aside from the impeller and its well. There is bacteria in the filter living on the parts you are cleaning. Limit things to gently swishing the sponges in a bucket of either tank water or dechlored tap water. There is also bacteria all over a tank not just in the filter.

Finally, my experience has been that filters rarely lose flow for reasons besides having the media clog or the impeller area becoming gunked up. Before you replace your filter, give that part a good clean and give your media a decent rinse, but do not "beat it to death", that can dislodge the bacteria from it. Bear in mind that the only parts of the filters that can effect flow is the assembly that actually moves the water or the media itself getting clogged. If the is an issue with flow you probably only need to replace the motor on the filter, if that is possible,

Most reactions

Back