New Dwarf Cichlid

guppymonkey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I bought a new pair of dwarf cichlids off an auction site and haven't been able to find much information on them. They are Apistogramma panduro but they aren't in any of the books I have (and I have quite a few) and I haven't been able to find much information on them online. I know they are a dwarf species from South America and I am assuming they like soft water like most of the Apistos. I read that they are cave breeders and that they like it around 80 degrees.

Anyone have any more info?

Check out apistogramma.com they have a lot of apistogramma profiles and a lot of people in the forum you can link to that know a lot about apistos. Good luck. I just purchased two pairs of apitogramma bitaeniata myself online.

I bought a new pair of dwarf cichlids off an auction site and haven't been able to find much information on them. They are Apistogramma panduro but they aren't in any of the books I have (and I have quite a few) and I haven't been able to find much information on them online. I know they are a dwarf species from South America and I am assuming they like soft water like most of the Apistos. I read that they are cave breeders and that they like it around 80 degrees.

Anyone have any more info?
Panduros have been around for a few years. They are closely related to nijesseni. They are rather peacful and usually are very compatible as pairs. In my experience they are not too shy and thrive in moderately soft water with pH below 7. They take many different foods but will do best with live food and a planted tank. Give them a few caves, good food and quality water and they will reward you with interesting behaviour, brillant colors and (if lucky) healthy offspring.

One of the best written accounts for this dwarf is found in Romer's book about South American dwarfs. If I am not mistaken, Romer actually described the species. When they were first introduced they were also marketed as Pandurini. If you are not familiar with the book check it out on Amazon at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/388...ontanaexotic-20

MET

Most reactions

Back