New Cichlids Help

marty2905

Reaction score
Just purchased a second hand 120 gallon tank which was 18 months old. I cleaned the tank well and purchased 2 small Yellow Labs. For the first 2 days they were very happy swimming and chasing each other around the tank but on the third day they began to just sit on the bottom or hide in the rocks and caves. I have tested water parameters and have 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite and 0 Nitrate, the pH is 7.5. I am using Seachem Malawi Buffer and Lake Salt, Prime and a bacterial additive, the temperature is 79F (26C). I have performed 2 x 50% water changes and a 25% water change over the past 3 days but they are still not happy and breathing a little fast. They have no signs of disease. I'm wondering if somthing has contaminated the water or are they just not happy? They dont eat a whole lot, just a little Brine Srimp and some sinking pellets but they are hard to get to eat which worrys me. I went back to the LFS and the guy tested my water and could find nothing wrong either.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help is much appreciated.

Blondielovesfish said:
Did you cycle?
Considering he/she has 0 ammonia and nitrite I would consider the answer to be yes.
Not neccassarily, it could take more than 3 days for fish to make enough waste to make ammonia. Especially in such a large tank. The lack of nitrate is a clue to what could be happening : a fish in cycle.

Oh, that's true aswell. It could be either. Sorry, I didn't notice the lack of nitrate.

I agree uncycled tank will be the issue.

I just knowticed somthing, when I turn the light off on the tank the fish come out of hiding and start swimming, they seem happy. The light is only a 36 watt, could it be too bright?

He stated he is using a bacterial additive and testing the water so I would assume it is a fish-in cycle.

Benzenering- peas on earth. Love it mate.

So anyway, fish. I think they're hiding because they're in a fishin cycle.

Sorry. The tank was secondhand and was already cycled when I got it, had only been emptied for one day and the filter was not cleaned out.

If the tank was properly cycled, you would have a nitrate reading. Are you sure you performed the nitrate test correctly? You have to shake the heck out of those bottles. Follow the directions EXACTLY.

Most reactions

Back