New Breeding Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SikkAquariums

Reaction score
Okay, so I currently have 4 different tanks, 80g, 37g, 10g, 4g. I want to combine them into my 80g cichlid tank(should be fine so far), and then set up my 37 as a breeder tank and planted. I don't need help with plants yet, i need to decide which fish I want to breed. Anyways, I love the Lake Tang. Cichlids, and heard a lot of good about breeding Frontosa burundi, but also heard that the cobra guppies would be nice too. So my question, would be what stocking options would be best? I do want to resell the fish obviously, but don't want ugly ones, so anything that looks nice and breeds relatively easily would be good. I am a novice to breeding and plants, so will do my research on that before starting, but NEED FISHIES!! Thank you!!

I wouldn't mind doing Cobra Guppies or Blue Frontosa Burundis.

Convict Cichlids. If your interested i have breed them and can answer some of your questions?

Guppies are certainly very easy to breed. Literally, if you throw some males and females in there together you'll have babies in no time, even a few that survive to adulthood. I have no idea about Frontosas, but judging by the price they have to be somewhat more diffcult.

[quote name='I'm the new guy' timestamp='1348790657' post='3423664']
Convict Cichlids. If your interested i have breed them and can answer some of your questions?
[/quote]

I'll look into the convicts some more, and start some on the guppies as well. My friend works at a petco, and told me some cobra guppies would be ideal, and turn a pretty penny for a side deal.

I just let nature take its course with guppies, but the thing with them is... unless you are being specific and breeding show quality, you won't make much money from them and you'll probably end up begging people to take them away.

[/quote]

How many would I comfortably fit in a 37 us gal tall?

[quote name='SikkAquariums' timestamp='1348980581' post='3424746']
[/quote]

How many would I comfortably fit in a 37 us gal tall?
[/quote]
They are cichlids so they are territorial, but i have breed them in 10 gallons, crazy I know. If you want them to get along overstock them. It's tricky but it should work.
In my 3 years of breeding them in two different tanks. The first time I have 4 in a 10 gallon. A male and female paired up and laid a ton of eggs. This is how many eggs they lay, without removing the babies to another tank over 50 survived from their cannibalistic parents. This tank was very successful because even though there was a dominant male with about 7 adults in the tank at a time he couldn't single out 1 specific fish and kill it. The best he could do was keep everyone away.

One (big!) point...

Before you start breeding anything, you should look into where you're going to get rid of the fry.

Convicts, for instance, breed like rabbits once they start and there are very, very few places that want to take on a couple of hundred potentially large, aggressive cichlid fry, so you could end up having a hell of a lot of fish that you can't get rid of...

most places don't take convicts anway because they are agressive and breed a lot

One (big!) point...

Before you start breeding anything, you should look into where you're going to get rid of the fry.

Convicts, for instance, breed like rabbits once they start and there are very, very few places that want to take on a couple of hundred potentially large, aggressive cichlid fry, so you could end up having a hell of a lot of fish that you can't get rid of...

Good point, thank you, yea I will look more into them. I was actually thinking either a Tropheus Dubosi now, or Morii, if not one of them, maybe even Julidochromis dickfeldi Dark Blue ooorrrr Julidochromis dickfeldi

Just started reading a little bit and although they all sell for about 4.99 or so online, Blue Cobra Guppy (Poecilia reticulata) is one i am possibly looking at. I have a 37usG tall that would be great with the right set up and plants. Any body have any input by all means, please put in. pros, cons. I have heard frequent water changes will be necessary due to high ammonia/nitrates from the fish. anything else to take into consideration? other than how to get ride of them too. I will obviously figure out a place to take the fish before overpopulating and causing a problem.

Where are you planning to sell them... thats the point... shops wont buy them off you generally... they just give you store credit... and if they did buy them... it would probably be about 1/7th of what they sell them for in the shop so you can forget the 4.99....

Where are you planning to sell them... thats the point... shops wont buy them off you generally... they just give you store credit... and if they did buy them... it would probably be about 1/7th of what they sell them for in the shop so you can forget the 4.99....

well, yea, all the guppies ive been looking at cost about that price. And yea I understand its store credit most of the time. I do have a couple of shops I will present too and see if buying would be the option, or store credits. I mean, there are things I could use for the tanks.

And does anybody else have any other suggestions or how about one of these guys?

Julidochromis dickfeldi Dark Blue

Level 2 breeding, guard and care for young. My tank should be plenty for a 2:2 (37 U.S. Gal. Tall)

Does anybody have any experience with this fish or just the simple Julidochromis dickfeldi?

I'd say there are three questions you want to consider before you settle on any one species:

1. Will I actually be able to breed these? (if your tank has hard water, breeding tetras just isn't going to happen; if it is soft, you will not get mollies healthy enough to sell)

2. Will I have enough space to grow them out?

3. Will I find any takers?

For questions 2 and 3, you should consider space, temperament, size and general availability. It's going to be a lot harder to get a shop to take on large aggressive fish in any helpful quantities. If you want to breed guppies or convicts you need to be aware that there will be hundreds of other hobbyists doing the same thing, accidentally. No shop will take fry so you need to have enough space to grow a number of youngsters to an almost adult size without damaging their health (noone will, or should, take fish of indifferent health)

If I were you I would be looking at a species of small, colourful or otherwise charming, non-aggressive fish, preferably schoolers or at least non-territorial, which are not so easy to breed that other local fishkeepers will be doing it accidentally.

If you are in a hard water area, suitable fish might be:

heterandria formosa (livebearers, very small, suitable for nano tanks which might be a good selling point)

endlers (d:eek:)

celestial pearl danios

If in a soft water area, perhaps:

pygmy corydoras

microrasboras

cherry barbs

Oh, and don't forget shrimps. Very fashionable atm and not that difficult to breed.

Most reactions

Back