New Boy!

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bealsey41

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello I am fairly new to the forum, just have not posted anything yet, I have a Trigon 350 and its brilliant! just wish i had something bigger now!!

These are my Fish:

4 x Geophagus
3 x Angel Fish
1 x Blood Parrot
1 x Albino Plec
1 x Sailfin plec
1 x GKF
2 x Talking Humbug Doradids
1 x Dragon Goby - Miss sold to me by fish shop as freshwater so trying to rehome!!!!
2 x Yoyo loach
1 x rainbow Crab
1 x Peacock Spiny eel
3 x Pinpictus
3 x Blue Rainbows
3 x Red Rainbows
2 x Bosemani Rainbows
4 x Odessa Barbs
3 x Bristlenose Plecs
3 x hoplo Catfish
2 x Flying Fox
6 x Golden panchax

Let me know what you think to my selection.

I have placed a few items in Classified section, mainly Rainbow crab, 1 Sailfin Plec and Dragon Goby as i was miss sold on 2 (crab and Goby) and trying to start a planted tank. Any info on my other stock would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya, is the Trigon 350 - 350l? It may sound like a daft question but I was just wondering.

If so, and I may be wrong(I'm not 100% with all the species on your list)... but I'm pretty sure your tank is overstocked.

Hiya, is the Trigon 350 - 350l? It may sound like a daft question but I was just wondering.

If so, and I may be wrong(I'm not 100% with all the species on your list)... but I'm pretty sure your tank is overstocked.

Hello, yeah it is a 350 ltr (92 US Gal), i know it is overstocked but trying to sort it out at the moment (trying to figure out what fish to sell or set up my 96 ltr tank too)!

Well I'll be back during my lunch hour, and if no one with actual experience with all of the fish listed above has replied. Then I'll do my best to point you in the right direction after I've researched. :)

However for the moment, I'd suggest checking out the 'Blood Parrot' as this is the one that really jumped out at me as being unsuitable. You can also find it under the name 'Parrot cichlid'.

Well I'm struggling to find info on most of the fish above.

I could really do with latin names for all of the above fish.

However you do have 15 bottom feeders which seems a bit much considering their max sizes:
1 x Albino Plec (An albino common or albino bristle nose or what?) - up to 18" if it's an albino common
1 x Sailfin plec (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps?) - if so then 11" +
2 x Yoyo loach - 6" each and prefer to be in bigger groups
3 x Pinpictus (do you mean Pimelodus Pictus?) - 6" each
3 x Bristlenose Plecs - 4.5" each
3 x Hoplo Catfish - 7" each
2 x Talking Humbug Doradids (Platydoras armatulus ?) - If so 9" + each

Then there is the GKF which grows up to 20"!!! And also occupys the lower levels.
Then the Peacock Spiny Eel (Macrognathus siamensis) - Which grows 9" + and does actually prefer to be in a group of it's own species. And ALSO occupies the lower levels.

Well I'm struggling to find info on most of the fish above.

I could really do with latin names for all of the above fish.

However you do have 15 bottom feeders which seems a bit much considering their max sizes:
1 x Albino Plec (An albino common or albino bristle nose or what?) - up to 18" if it's an albino common
1 x Sailfin plec (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps?) - if so then 11" +
2 x Yoyo loach - 6" each and prefer to be in bigger groups
3 x Pinpictus (do you mean Pimelodus Pictus?) - 6" each
3 x Bristlenose Plecs - 4.5" each
3 x Hoplo Catfish - 7" each
2 x Talking Humbug Doradids (Platydoras armatulus ?) - If so 9" + each

Then there is the GKF which grows up to 20"!!! And also occupys the lower levels.
Then the Peacock Spiny Eel (Macrognathus siamensis) - Which grows 9" + and does actually prefer to be in a group of it's own species. And ALSO occupies the lower levels.

Thanks for looking them up! Both the Plecs are Gibbiceps (one normal one albino), the Pinpictus are Pimelodus Pictus like you said. The bristlenose are babies at the moment ( got given to me) Definately think i will have to give up the Hoplo's as well! I did have 3 more eels way before the others but they escaped out of a tiny hole at the back of the tank! :blush:

If it were me I'd re-home the sailfins, the hoplos and the humbugs. And would probably also rehome the GKF. I'm sorta going by the rules for a rectangular aquarium as opposed to a corner aquarium. And I'm not trying to say I've had personal experience with these fish, but I did a good bit of reading before I replied.
So don't take my advice with as much weight as someone who has actually HAD these fish or has more experience generally/with corner aquariums.

Oh, I'd also up the yo-yo loaches to a group of 4.

Other questions, can I perhaps have full latin names for...
The Geophagus? You left off which species.
Blue Rainbows
Red Rainbows

Just double checking, are the killifish Golden wonder panchax?

If it were me I'd re-home the sailfins, the hoplos and the humbugs. And would probably also rehome the GKF. I'm sorta going by the rules for a rectangular aquarium as opposed to a corner aquarium. And I'm not trying to say I've had personal experience with these fish, but I did a good bit of reading before I replied.
So don't take my advice with as much weight as someone who has actually HAD these fish or has more experience generally/with corner aquariums.

Oh, I'd also up the yo-yo loaches to a group of 4.

Other questions, can I perhaps have full latin names for...
The Geophagus? You left off which species.
Blue Rainbows
Red Rainbows

Just double checking, are the killifish Golden wonder panchax?

Any advice is good at the moment, I have been mislead by a few LFS now so don't trust anything they say, they even sold me a Shovel Nose Catfish and said all my other fish would be fine until i found it munching on them!!!! :crazy:

Now just have to look at the forum and sort the rest of my tank out!

Golden Panchax - Are the Killifsih Golden Wonder's
I think the Geophagus are - Geophagus Jurupari
Blue Rainbows closest match comes up as - Melanotaenia Mubiensis
Red Rainbows - Glossolepis Incisus

Oh trust me we've all been there. Well..not all of us. But I for one have! I've been very angry at both myself and the fish shop before now. But you live n learn. And everything you do from the moment that you 'do know better' is the important thing.

You seem willing to do the best by your fish, and that's all anyone would want :)

I finally found the Geophagus and if it is a Jurupari then I think it's name is 'Satanoperca Jurupari' but you'd have to google it and tell me if the pics look the same.
If it is that fish then your tank is big enough but they do grow to 10", so I think you need to perhaps you might want to cut down to just a pair.
Read This as it says lower down that it's very easy to mistake 'Satanoperca leucosticta' for 'Satanoperca Jurupari'
Oh and are they eating well? Also what are you feeding them?

I think your blue rainbow fish are more likely to be - Melanotaenia lacustris
And grow to 4" which is fine.

I agree on the probable ID of the reds and they grow a bit bigger, around 5" or so.

Once you have proper latin names for all your fish I'd post a new post asking for help maybe asking is my suggestions are good suggestions or not. Because I wouldn't want to give you bad advice and then someone more knowledgeable not get the chance to pick up on it.

Oh trust me we've all been there. Well..not all of us. But I for one have! I've been very angry at both myself and the fish shop before now. But you live n learn. And everything you do from the moment that you 'do know better' is the important thing.

You seem willing to do the best by your fish, and that's all anyone would want :)

I finally found the Geophagus and if it is a Jurupari then I think it's name is 'Satanoperca Jurupari' but you'd have to google it and tell me if the pics look the same.
If it is that fish then your tank is big enough but they do grow to 10", so I think you need to perhaps you might want to cut down to just a pair.
Read This as it says lower down that it's very easy to mistake 'Satanoperca leucosticta' for 'Satanoperca Jurupari'
Oh and are they eating well? Also what are you feeding them?

I think your blue rainbow fish are more likely to be - Melanotaenia lacustris
And grow to 4" which is fine.

I agree on the probable ID of the reds and they grow a bit bigger, around 5" or so.

Once you have proper latin names for all your fish I'd post a new post asking for help maybe asking is my suggestions are good suggestions or not. Because I wouldn't want to give you bad advice and then someone more knowledgeable not get the chance to pick up on it.

Yeah that looks like the blue rainbows i have! I am trying to get all the latin names together, quite hard when you can't remember there normal names!!
I think you are right about the Geophagus they look like 'Satanoperca leucosticta' because of the stripes, they are definately eating well, they sift through the sand all the time but as soon as i feed the other fish they come to the top and eat with them!! They are probably my favourite fish, really interesting.
Again thanks for all the info, i really appreciate it.

Seeing as I have nothing better to do...

4 x Eartheater Cichlids - Satanoperca leucosticta
3 x Angel Fish - Just known as angel fish lol
1 x Blood Parrot - Parrot Cichlid
1 x Albino Plec - Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps
1 x Sailfin plec - Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps
1 x GKF - Apteronotus albifrons
2 x Talking Humbug Doradids - Platydoras armatulus
2 x Yoyo loach - Botia almorhae
1 x Peacock Spiny eel - Macrognathus siamensis
3 x Pinpictus - Pimelodus pictus
3 x Blue Rainbows - Melanotaenia lacustris
3 x Red Rainbows - Glossolepis Incisus
2 x Bosemani Rainbows - Melanotaenia boesemani
4 x Odessa Barbs - Puntius sp
3 x Bristlenose Plecs - Ancistrus sp.
3 x Hoplo Catfish - Hoplosternum thoracatum
2 x Flying Fox - Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus
6 x Golden panchax - Aplocheilus lineatus

I've left out:
1 x Dragon Goby
1 x Rainbow Crab
As you are definitely re-homing the above 2...if I'm right?

My suggestions are:
Rehome the Sailfins, Hoplos, Humbugs, GKF, 2 Eartheaters
And up the number of yo-yo loaches to 4

Now if I were you I'd make a brand new post called something like 'Trigon 350, I think I'm Overstocked and could do with advice'.
Post your full stock list, with latin names! And if you could mention my suggestions (you don't need to actually mention me if you don't want), but just to get clarification on if I'm on the right lines and not giving you silly advice.

Ps. I do actually have better things to do than type this post....especially considering that I did all the leg work accurately identifying the fish and finding the slightly harder latin names... all that was left for you was some easy googling. But...you found me in a good mood, it's rare but it happens. So you'd better appreciate it! :p Good-luck, and I hope someone who really knows their stuff replies to you. If not...then those fish are going to be very un-happy in the long run :(

Thanks again thats brilliant, glad i got you in a good mood then!! :rolleyes: Definately helps now i know all the Latin names, I will try and persuade my girlfriend to set up the other tank to spred a few about, and have a proper sort out this weekend! Don't think I can ever get rid of GKF, got him feeding out of my hand and he is just so funny to watch!!

Seriously do make a new post with the title 'Trigon 350, I think I'm Overstocked and could do with advice' (or similar).

There are plenty of people here who know alot more than me about your fish. But they tend to only respond if they're given all the facts and a good title. lol.

Most reactions

Back