New 40 Litre Tank How Many Neon Tetra

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NewFishOwner99

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there I've been cycling my tank for a while since last year and i added a male betta two female balloon bellied mollies and i wanted to add some neon tetra but how many can i add without over crowding

Thanks NewFishOwner99

The mollies should be in a bigger tank :/ Am not sure how many neon tetras you could add since you have those in there.

How did you cycle the tank?

Yeah Mollies in a 40litre is tough. They have quite a large bio load from my experience. That cuts their life shorter in a small space. I have a 40 liter with 1 male betta, 1 crystal red shrimp and 1 red rili with live plants and MTS in the substrate. I don't dare put anything else in it. But if you sold the mollies and just had the betta with a heavily planted tank with plants I'd say 5 could fit. Mr. Betta might not appreciate a group zipping around, though. Might have good luck since he already has 2 fish with him, but, I'm surprised he leaves the mollies alone. Our 40liter the betta patrols the entire tank. He looks at the shrimp but they are quick and have a huge driftwood piece to call home. I dig under the driftwood but don't leave an entrance big enough for our betta. Anyway, sorry for being negative, maybe upgrade to a 80L or 120L for some more options if possible.

Hi Gees Sounds like i'm buying a new tank. The person at my LPS said balloon bellied mollies are great in a 40 Litre. What if i Got an 80 Litre one species for the mollies. What else could i get with the betta and 5 neon tetra, I LIke the idea of tetra mabye embers.

Thanks for all the help ag-au and Ninjouzata

I Cycled the tank by putting in ammonia and then letting my filter and the Nitrogen cylce deal with it and then testing the water for Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia

They'll tell you just about anything to get a sale, unfortunately :/
I usually see a tank size of 30g recommended for mollies. This would be 113l. Certainly the 80l would be better than the 40l but it may just be best to return them.

I'm not the best at stocking numbers but I'd think in the 40l the betta and neon tetras are pretty much stocked. Maybe add some shrimp or snails.
Betta may eat the shrimp so it's up to you on those..can add things like java moss for them to hide in.

I could easily be wrong as like I said, am not good at stocking numbers. Hopefully ag-au or someone else will have a better idea :D

Hi there thanks Ninjouzata,
Does anyone know where to get cheep tanks or second hand tanks

Thanks NewFishOwner99

Hrrrm am not aware of most sites for where you're located.

I think I've heard of trademe and gumtree and maybe aquarist classifieds?

NewFishOwner99 said:
Hi there thanks Ninjouzata,
Does anyone know where to get cheep tanks or second hand tanks

Thanks NewFishOwner99
I check Gumtree and eBay, and have found a few bargains (but not too many) and bought two tanks for about 1/2 the cost of new ones. Check your local area, there's usually someone who bought a fish for Christmas and then it died (due to not knowing about proper care) so they ditch the tank because it wasn't supposed to happen that way.

Tanks may be cheap, but add a filter, heater, gravel, ornaments and your $50 tank is suddenly $200. And then more for a stand... If you can get a complete setup you're laughing.

Just be a bit cautious, some people say "filter" when they mean "air pump and stone." Especially on smaller tanks.

Hi thanks for that,

Now I'm getting a larger tank (I'm thinking mabye a 180 Litre) 

And Starting again no fish What should i get.

The best advice I can offer is go to your LFS and have a look. Write down the name of anything that catches your eye, and do some research (the guys here are very helpful on what goes and what doesn't). Then have a think about what sort of tank you want, do you want groups of different fish, a centrepiece fish or two, whether you want lots of plants etc, and find a mix of fish that won't overpopulate your tank and will give you the most pleasure.

Hi Thanks Gruntle I've decieded to go with two axolotls and make a coldwater tank thanks for all the advice and help

NewFishOwner99

Most reactions

Back