New 10G Tank What Fish

Oswegofish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey I just got a 10g tank I want to no what fish would go good in my tank my temperature is 76d and ph is 8.0

How long has the tank been cycling?
With a 10 gal you will be pretty limited on selection. A few options off the top of my head (not considering pH so some may need to be nixed are):
A male betta with shrimp (if you raise the temp)
A few female bettas
The dwarf rasporas
Mini shell dwelling cichlids
I think there's a dwarf neon?
Some may work and some may not. I'll pass to the experts for more suggestions and to nix any of these suggestions.

Sorry um my tank is a 15gallon
It's been cycling for 2days

Do you have a test kit? You'll want to read up on the nitrogen cycle articles here :)

How are you cycling it? Are you following our fishless cycling instructions? Whatever method you are using, please ensure the tank is fully cycled before stocking with fish.

It would be really good to know the GH and KH of your water, but for the moment, I'll assume they are fairly high, from the fact that you have a high pH - it doesn't necessarily follow, but it's a reasonable assumption.

You would need to stock with fish that naturally live in hard water. With a 10g or a 15g, this limits you quite a bit. If you only have a 10g, then really, all you could have is a few male endlers.

Even in a 15g, you could only have endlers, guppies or a few platies.

Swordtails wouldn't fit in a 15g, rainbowfish would need a shoal, which then wouldn't fit in a 15g. The other major group of hard water fish are African cichlids - I'm no expert on this group, but the only ones approaching being small enough are shelldwellers, and even then 15g is a bit small even for those, I believe, but I would happily defer to someone with greater knowledge.

As stated before, I'd read up on cycling if I were you.
2 days is nowhere near long enough for fishless cycling, more like 2 weeks if you're lucky.

I think 15 long would be okay for shell dwellers but I wouldn't try it in a tall or hex model.
Also, with the shell dwellers, it's likely that nothing else would be compatible in this size tank.

As for the stocking list, I'd go with a carefully chosen selection from the following:
Nerite snail Nerite sp.(one of the best algae eaters for your size tank)
MysterySnail AKA Apple Snail (not the best Idea for a planted tank)
Ramshorn snail.
Most any Aquatic snail, really
Ghost AKA Glass shrimp
Red cherry Shrimp
Cajun Dwarf crayfish
Least killifish/ AKADwarf Livebearer
Dwarf Ricefish AKA Dwarf Medaka
Daisy's ricefish AKA neon Ricefish
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora
(More to come soon)
Please note That there are many incompatibilities in this list temperament wise, it would be wise to research any choices you make.

Sawbwa Barb AKA Asian Rummynose
Galaxy Rasbora AKA Celestial Pearl Danio
Medaka
Indian Ricefish
Peacock Goby AKA Peacock Gudgeon
Most crayfish, sometimes sold as freshwater lobsters, actually prefer hard water,  but be advised that some species are so aggro that basically they will try to eat anything that can't eat them, although the aforementioned Cajun dwarf species would be okay in a carefully selected community

These  can adapt to up to 8.0 ph if captive bred, but would probably enjoy some driftwood to slightly lower the PH.
Xray Tetra
corydoras pygmaeus AKA Pygmy Cory
Corydoras hastatus  AKA Tail-spot Pygmy Cory
Galaxy Rasbora AKA Celestial Pearl Danio
Threadfin Rainbowfish (24 inch long tank minimum)
Please note that this list, like the last one, contains some species that won't get along, please do your research.
fish.gif

Apologies for the double post, but I'm unable to edit my posts after they're about an hour old.
(BTW, is this normal?)

Jeremy180 said:

Apologies for the double post, but I'm unable to edit my posts after they're about an hour old.
(BTW, is this normal?)

Yes it is. :)

Jeremy180 said:
2 days is nowhere near long enough for fishless cycling, more like 2 weeks if you're lucky.

I think 15 long would be okay for shell dwellers but I wouldn't try it in a tall or hex model.
Also, with the shell dwellers, it's likely that nothing else would be compatible in this size tank.

As for the stocking list, I'd go with a carefully chosen selection from the following:
Ramshorn snail.
Ghost AKA Glass shrimp
Red cherry Shrimp
Cajun Dwarf crayfish
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora
(More to come soon)
Please note That there are many incompatibilities in this list temperament wise, it would be wise to research any choices you make.
nice list, would the snails not multiple like crazy? 

boshk said:

Ramshorn snail.
Ghost AKA Glass shrimp
Red cherry Shrimp
Cajun Dwarf crayfish
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora
(More to come soon)
nice list, would the snails not multiple like crazy? 

Thank you, Terribly sorry for the late reply, but I've recently had surgery....

Anyway, regarding your question it really depends on the snail species.
For example Nerite snails need brackish water to successfully breed at all, but  with malaysian livebearing snails, frequently all you need is one hitchhiker and you could have dozens, or even hundredes within a couple months in an overfed tank..

Most reactions

Back