New 100l nano tank ideas

strangeworld2002

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years. Several house moves brought it to a halt and I had to sell everything - never again!

Anyways I've just bought an Aqua one Aqua nano 60 - 100 litres so I can get going again but I literally have no idea about stocking it.

I'm thinking tetras, cories and maybe dwarf gouramis or guppies (all females) but no idea over suitable numbers. The tanks I used to have were normally around 200-300 litres so I didn't have to be as careful.

Any recommendations with numbers of each would be great.

It depends if it's 60 or 100 litres? If you're not sure, what are the dimensions? The calculator on here will show volume.
Also.it depends if you have hard or soft water. Guppies hard water, cories and most tetra need soft water. If you can find a number and unit on your water suppliers quality report that will be useful.
Welcome back to the hobby!

It depends if it's 60 or 100 litres? If you're not sure, what are the dimensions? The calculator on here will show volume.
Also.it depends if you have hard or soft water. Guppies hard water, cories and most tetra need soft water. If you can find a number and unit on your water suppliers quality report that will be useful.
Welcome back to the hobby!
It definitely says 100 litres on the box, not sure why they call it a 60 though and I'm currently in a hard water area.

This is what I was thinking:

3x Guppies - 1 Male and 2 Females
6x Neon Tetras
1x Clown pleco or Corydoras
1x Female Betta

Would that be about right? understocked/overstocked?

understocked/overstocked?
I think it's more about being in/appropriately stocked.
  • So I would personally not do guppies as they are hardwater fish and you have soft water.
  • I would have 10-12 neons because this is the minimum size shoal they need for health. Smaller numbers show stress and even latency to feed. The industry says 5-6 is a shoal but science has proved this is inadequate for many shoaling fish, 10 being a good minimum number.
  • I would hesitate on the clown pleco as they produce a lot of waste. But with only 60cm width, cories, in the shoal size they need particularly, may be a bit of a squeeze. You could look at smaller species, or preferably dwarf species - habrosas, pygmaeus or hastatus - again 10-12 of these. Even more if the dwarf species'.
  • Betta Splendens are problematic in communities but less so if female so I would say try it, just have a plan B if she, or the other fish, struggle. The main issue I foresee is the temperature as the betta will be more comfortable at 78-80°, the neons and cories around 74°.
There would be a nice balance of fish through the tank and it would be active.
Cories need soft smooth sand substrate (play sand like Argos or B&M if you are in the UK?), and the tetra and betta will benefit from live plants, especially floating plants.

The tank is 100litres, and is 40 x 60 x 47 tall cm. it's called an Aqua Nano 60 as it's 60 cm long.

Hardness clarke is 6.93
There are half a dozen units used for hardness and fish keeping uses just two of them, ppm and dH. Fish profiles will use one or other of those units.
Your 6.93 deg Clarke converts to 5.5 dH and 99 ppm.

Welcome. Those fish are too big for the tank imho. Endlers, Pygmy Corys, Galaxy Rasboras, Scarlet Badis sized fish are more like it imho.

Most reactions

Back