New 10-gallon stocking options

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The Aquarium Home

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Yesterday I finished scaping a standard 10-gallon aquarium. I'll be doing water changes every day for the next 6 days, then every other day for the next week, twice the week after that, and then once a week for the rest of ever. I'm using the twinstar 45B light and I do have a spare CO2 system, but not sure if I'll be needing it yet. Here are the plants I'm using:
  • Water wisteria
  • Bacopa monnieri
  • Cryptocoryne parva
  • Hydrocotyle tripartita
  • Alternanthera reineckii
  • Java fern
  • Mystery plant from the pond that I believe is some species of potamageton
Any identification on the mystery plant would be helpful, it's in the foreground. The wood I'm using is from outside - I hosed it off and baked it at 425F for 1.5 hours. Only trouble is that I'm not 100% positive it's not pinewood. I found it in an area without any pines nearby or needles on the ground, and the trees around it were all oaks. But when I baked it, the house smelled slightly piney. I've heard that pinewood isn't always safe for fish - is this true?

After cycling over the next several weeks, I'd like to add some fish and shrimp. My water parameters are ~40-50ppm TDS, 6.3 pH, and a low KH. I can raise the hardness. What fish would you like to see in this 10-gallon planted tank? I'd like to try something other than fish I've kept before - basically anything but tetras and cory cats.

Attachments

• 10gallon-1.jpg
    10gallon-1.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 10gallon-2.jpg
    10gallon-2.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 4
  • mysteryplant.jpg
    mysteryplant.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 3

Most reactions

Back