Neon green saddleback endlers....

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A project I've been working on since last year is a black bar endler without the red markings on its body. To those who know the standard black bar endler, the colors are green, red (or orange) and black. I used to keep the limegreen endler (commercial trade may call them emerald green endlers). This is an N-class endler from the Cumana region in Venezuela. But after keeping them for over a decade, I've sold them all to someone else. But I do like the prominent look of the green on the body. So, last year I've decided to work on a neon green endler by using black bar endlers (females in this case). The other breeding factor was using Asian blau (that's a grey silvery bodied guppy with blue parts in the skin). Asian blau has got the ability to eliminate red color cells as much as possible. But you're not already done in the F1 offspring. It still takes a number of generations before this trait will breed true. And don't forget to cull.
The green on the bodies of the males are becoming prominent by now.

Attachments

• IMG_8601a.jpg
    IMG_8601a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8591a.jpg
    IMG_8591a.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8605a.jpg
    IMG_8605a.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8587a.jpg
    IMG_8587a.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8598a.jpg
    IMG_8598a.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8592.JPG
    IMG_8592.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I just got done culling my guppies, way to many fry in my 30 gallons so I moved the plain looking one to the turtle tank.

Must feel good to finally get it done. Beautiful! :good:
Oh yes, for sure. It's always great when you complete your goal. Time investment and patience has paid off.
Very nice...do you breed to sell, or breed for fun?
I don't breed specifically to get them sold. I go for the challenge to make a goal and hopefully complete it. I tend to use my knowledge of genetics. It's a time investment that I take seriously. You can cross any guppy. But it's the challenge to get a new line breed true. That isn't established in just one crossbreeding. It takes a serious amount of generations to get the job done.
But yes, once a new line is breeding true and can be called a strain, they wil go on the market at some point. But my first goal is to get a new line established with the traits I had in mind.
Wow they are really nice
Well, thank you...
very beautiful guppies
Thank you so much...

Last edited:
Some more pics of them. If the enviroment absorbs the light, I sometimes do stick my hand in the water to make the contrast of the colors of the endlers more clear. Or I'll put a colored card behind the tank or the small container.
IMG_9864.JPGIMG_9893.JPGIMG_9888.JPGIMG_9899.JPGIMG_9863.JPG

Most reactions

Back