need info / suggestions for RO unit...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
so my well water is very hard, & I'm trying to make my water more pleasant for each fish, thinking I'll need to blend some RO water during water changes until I reach my target parameters for each tank... then possibly add back some minerals down the road as needed... I currently have been filling with my tap softened well water... I get it, that soft water is often thought not the best for aquariums, part of my decision to go to an RO unit...

so looking for suggestions...

I found an RO unit I initially like, 100 gallon per day, but it says that is at 60 psi... we have an older well, & I think my pressures are in the 30-40 psi range... curious if there is a lower pressure unit available, & if using lower pressure just reduces the amount of filtered water, or if the unit would actually fail to run, with significantly less pressure... I'm fine with it producing half as much water as rated, as I already plan on letting it fill a plastic 30 gallon drum, then make any adjustments to the drum, & use that to do my water changes

what do you guys use, if your water is bad enough, or you choose to use RO for your tanks

Last edited:
Hello. The vast majority of aquarium fish will be fine in the vast majority of public water supplies. Fish simply require a steady water chemistry, not a particular chemistry. I really don't think the average fish keeper is going to be able to establish a particular water chemistry and maintain that chemistry indefinitely. Just my thoughts on the subject. If you've got a solid background in water chemistry, maybe you'll find a way to permanently change your tap water.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I see this one has a booster pump to work with lower pressure... to bad it has so many items I wouldn't use, for the aquariums

Most reactions

Back