Need Info On Red Clawed Crab

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

miatiny

Reaction score
My boyfriend just bought me a red clawed crab. The petshop told him they were fresh water crabs and assured him that I could put them in my tank with my apple snail, nerite snail, betta and amano shrimp. As I do not trust petshops I have been searching for info on the web. Most recommend brackish water and some land area. I was wondering how much land area is needed( I have read that the older they get the more land area needed). Can these crab self regulate themselves like hermit crabs do, if I offered a hanging salt water bowl for it to soak it could he stay in freshwater... I am looking at all possible solutions. I know that the apple snail and the betta will not tolerate the brackish water but I was wondering if the shrimp and nerite snail would and If it is really safe to leave them in with the crab. I have other empty tanks so I can slipt them up. Any opinion and experience would be appreciated.

I'm not too sure about the brackish part but when I asked a few pet shops about them they said they might not be compatible with fish with long fins (bettas), slow swimming fish, fry and bottom dwellers.

Haven't got personal experience with them tho I would love to have one in my tank but not sure about risking it as I most of those fish...

Does the crab seem ok with the betta?

They are a land crab by nature so ideally between one to two thirds of the tank should be dry, if kept in full tanks they will either escape or drown, The water also ideally needs to be brackish, as they don't usually live long if kept in freshwater,

As for their temperament they can be aggressive and the likes of snails and bettas would definitely be at risk,

So far the crab has been hiding or goes on top of the log to dry off. It ignores the other living creatures except for the ghost shrimp but they quikly get away from it. I will seperate it from my betta tonight as I do not want to wait for something to happen we have had the betta for 3 years and would hate to lose it this way.

Thank you very much

They are a land crab by nature so ideally between one to two thirds of the tank should be dry, if kept in full tanks they will either escape or drown, The water also ideally needs to be brackish, as they don't usually live long if kept in freshwater,

As for their temperament they can be aggressive and the likes of snails and bettas would definitely be at risk,
Basically that.

You need to set up a brackish tank with a large land area.

You will need marine sea salt (the stuff for reef and marine aquariums) for the water, and the tank should mainly be land. They really appreciate sand to dig in and live plants to tear apart too :good:.

Basically that.

You need to set up a brackish tank with a large land area.

You will need marine sea salt (the stuff for reef and marine aquariums) for the water, and the tank should mainly be land. They really appreciate sand to dig in and live plants to tear apart too :good:.

So basically a lot of the same requirements as land hermit crabs:)too bad they are not compatible. I have the marine salt but I will have too get something to mesure the salinity to make sure I get it right. I wish the petstores would know more about the animals they sale....They have the red claw cras in with a baby turtle:(

thank you again. I read somewhere that nerite zebra snails prefer brackish water as well. Will it be fine in fresh water

Most reactions

Back