Need Idia's For Tankmates. 120gallon

They do best under experienced care and need a group of 5+ requiring 50 gallons to that group alone

Ok thats about 1/2 my tank. I think I'll go without the Discus for a year and if im still motivated like i am now ill set up another species *discus tank.

Can you give us your water stats for pH, GH, KH nitrate out of the tap
Ph is 8.3ish. Ill grab the GH KH hardness tests tomorrow with any luck.

Can i ask were you have taken this info from?

Live Aquaria.
Live Aquaria - Swordtail

your water stats for pH, GH, KH nitrate out of the tap
Ph is 8.3ish. Ill grab the GH KH hardness tests tomorrow with any luck.

A pH of 8.3 is way too high for discus, it will have to be brought down :nod: The safest way to do this is to use remineralised RO. to get RO you need an RO unit. For your tank you would want a 150gpd unit, at arround £140, so factor that into your budget :good: You can also buy RO from most LFS's at about 50p a gallon, but 50% weekly waterchanges when buying the water from your LFS will set you back £35 a week... I'd just buy to unit outright :nod: Discus would need 50% weekly waterchanges as a minimum in most systems. Depending on filtration, they may need more :crazy:

Depending on GH an KH, other options may be available for lowering. However, with a high pH, KH is usualy also quite high, and that mens that using any chemicals will make the pH fluctuate. This will be very damaging to your fish, so for god's sake, don't use them :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Well im a little bummed now. I was really liking my fish list. But at this time there's no way i can spare 400$ for a RO filter. So were thinking about going with fish that like the high ph. SO back to the drawing board.

Again i was looking at fish... i see the cichlids are a high PH fish and the Tiger Oscar is too. What others would with well with these with high Ph settings and fish?

Well after the last hour or two unless im missing something your pretty limited on tankmates for the oscar/cichlids.

Looked into community high ph fish.... came up with this list.

Hi Fin Swordtail, Blood Red
Sterba's Cory
Pearl Gourami
Black Sailfin Molly
Topsail Platy
Madagascan Rainbow
Dusky Panther Goby
Cylindricus Cichlid ****** not sure about this
Guppies.

Looks OK to me, but I'm not formiliar with Cylindricus Cichlid's, so can't say for certain... I'm not 100% of the goby either. High pH loving fish aren't realy my forte TBH...

All the best
Rabbut

Dusky Panther Goby
(Neovespicula depressifrons)
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 72-82° F, pH 7.5-8.5, KH 10-18
Max. Size: 4"
Color Form: Black, Purple, Tan
Venomous: Venomous
Diet: Carnivore
Origin: Singapore
Family: Tetrarogidae

The Dusky Panther Goby, also known as the Butterfly Goby or Leaf Goblinfish, is a grouper-like predator that is often mistaken for a bullrout. The body is a mottled brown with a light stripe running from the nose along the top of the back. It is actually not a goby at all, but a waspfish which are well known for being venomous. Being punctured by the Dusky Panther Goby is similar to being stung by a wasp and can be painful for some time.

The Dusky Panther Goby is a hardy fish and inhabits a variety of waters in the wild from freshwater all the way through to full marine conditions. In captivity, it does well in brackish and freshwater conditions. This species should only share a tank with peaceful fish, which are large enough not to be eaten, that prefer hard water with elevated salt levels.

Unfortunately, the breeding habits of the Dusky Panther Goby have not been documented.

The Dusky Panther Goby is a carnivore that can be a picky eater when first introduced to the aquarium. It should be fed a variety of foods such as small fish and ghost shrimp until it learns to accept frozen foods such as mysis shrimp and ocean plankton.

Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 1" to 1-1/2"

The Dusky Panther Goby is a carnivore that can be a picky eater when first introduced to the aquarium. It should be fed a variety of foods such as small fish and ghost shrimp until it learns to accept frozen foods such as mysis shrimp and ocean plankton.

Thats prolly the Guppies eh?

I recognise one of the other common names. If it is what I think is it, the max size quoted by that source are way off...

Even if the sources maximum size is correct, it may be an issue to the gupies, but not nesissarily... The fish I'm thinking it is will grow to 2 feet, but I'm not seeing a picture of it, and may myself be way off. (most likely thing is me being in error here)

From what your source is saying, these are wild caught fish. If this is the case, your water quality will always have to be impeckable, with presumably low nitrates. This could make for a high-mantanance tank especialy if frozen food is all it will accept, as these feeds are often messy :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

Thanks Faythee, not the fish I was thinking of luckily :nod:

I'd have though from the above posters link, that it would be fine with the guppies, I can's see how they would fit into it's mouth. Faythee, do you have any experience with these guys? I don't want to say they will be fine together and have them turn out to be able to eat guppies as a light snack...

All the best
Rabbut

IHi Rabbut
I have only heard of them but never kept them. I personally wouldn't try it though....

Predators: They may be picky eaters, but don’t put your butterfly goby/wasp fish in your community tank. You will have no neons or other similar size fishes. The little guys just disappear. These guys loaf on the bottom (like a stonefish/lionfish/toadfish) and sometimes slowly “walk” or hop along the bottom. When a tasty morsel that tempts their taster wanders past, they suddenly become gulpers.

Well after the last hour or two unless im missing something your pretty limited on tankmates for the oscar/cichlids.

Looked into community high ph fish.... came up with this list.

Hi Fin Swordtail, Blood Red
Sterba's Cory
Pearl Gourami
Black Sailfin Molly
Topsail Platy
Madagascan Rainbow
Dusky Panther Goby
Cylindricus Cichlid ****** not sure about this
Guppies.

The Cylindricus Cichlid is presumanly neolamprologus Cylindricus, if so they should only be kept with other Tanganyikan cichlids
I'd also ditch the gobies, I know the info says freshwater but IMO it is more likely that the'd need brackish water at some point during their lives

Any livebearers or Rainbows would thrive in your conditions so i'd go with them,
Synodontis catfish would also do great, Although most hardy catfish would be able to adjust to your parameter

Most reactions

Back