Tank size: 5 gallons
pH:7.2
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:20
kH:?
gH:?
tank temp:78

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Ok this is the problem. My Betta has had a swollen belly for a while now and its not looking good. Just a few minutes ago I noticed what could only be descrbed as very tiny maggots/worms writhing around on the sides of the tank in the water. It's absolutely disgusting. Basically I need to know...
1. What they are
2. Where they possibly came from
3. What to do about it.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: Once a week or so

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Aside from dechlorinator none

Tank inhabitants: 1 Male Betta

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): None

Exposure to chemicals: None

Attachments

• 12_06_07_2245.jpg
    12_06_07_2245.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 44
could it be planaria? i had them in my fry tank a while back from over feeding their horrid, they looked a bit like tiny slugs. try googling them, if it is i was told to cuy back on the feeding and they just seemed to disapear

Sick, I've heard of that before. It sounds the fish may be constipated like Wilder said. The parasites needed to be treated with some kind of parasite medicine.

I have been feeding him Hikari bloodworms a few times a week and betta pellets daily. I started treating the tank with General Cure from API yesterday so i'll have to wait and see how that works out. I have been reducing the amount of food put into the tank so that should help as well.
I appreciate the help btw.

Need more of a varied diet, blood worms and flakes are high in protein.
I wouldn't feed the bloodworms for a week they can make them bloat up if you over feed them.
Need more frozen foods in daphina which is very good for digesting the fish food, brimestrimp.
Veg is good anything green.
Click on feeding.
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

Most reactions

Back