Need Help...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZooKeeper

Reaction score
Ok, I don't know what happened. I did full water changes on 6 of my males late Friday night. I did nothing out of the ordinary, and I used the same dechlorinator and water that I normally do. All were fine up until yesterday after I got home. One jumped (his water is not anywhere close to the edge), and 2 were dead in the tank. This morning I woke up to another one (who was eating and flitting around just fine last night) dead. There are still 2 more that I changed. What should I do with them? I am afraid to change their water again, but I don't want to leave them in this water. I added water to the others. They seem to be doing ok.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!! I am at my wits end here. Almost in tears.

your heaters working ok? did you make sure the water was the same temperature before adding it? has there been any work done on your water pipes recently that may have effected your tap water? do you have your water stats available? you SURE you added dechlorinator to your new water, its easy to forget sometimes.

I would get clean water with water stuff in and put them in another container, and cross your fingers.

your heaters working ok? did you make sure the water was the same temperature before adding it? has there been any work done on your water pipes recently that may have effected your tap water? do you have your water stats available? you SURE you added dechlorinator to your new water, its easy to forget sometimes.

The only thing that I can think about is that maybe something got in the pipes because of the tornado last weekend. I did a partial change on the others, so maybe there was enough of the old water in there to overtake anything wrong with the water. I am going to have to check each one tonight to make sure the stats are ok.

I raised the temperature a little when I changed them. They were quite cold, so I acclimated them before putting them in. I didn't think raising would hurt.

Yes, dechlorinator went in. I measure into each container before the water goes in.

I am just really at a loss here. It is so frustrating.

Should I try bottled water for now instead of the tap water? Just to be safer?

Yes, I'd get some bottled spring water right away and try that adding your usual treatments into it. You'd think a boil order would be put up if any bacteria were present in the water but maybe some pipes got shaken loose and rust is present.....?? Or something else they're not used to....good luck and sorry for your losses. That sux.

Sorry for your losses :(

I would definitely use bottled water. I've had two die from unsafe tap water and one try to jump out.

Most reactions

Back