Need Help With My Zebra Danios

adam12345

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have 5 zebra danios and last week i noticed 1 of them have got really fat and i think it is due to having eggs in them. i have 3 females 2 males. i think. its very hard to tell. but anyway ... one of the females is huge allot bigger then my other females and my two other females are big already bigger then the males. so i think she may have eggs but ive read things about lowering the water and having marbles in there. i do not own any marbles so that's kind of not going to happen. do i have to lower the water is that the only way she will release eggs. i say this because they have been huge for over a week now not sure how long excatly just noticed over a week ago, and i cant see them just being fat all of a sudden. so i think she has eggs. also i have read that they release the eggs early in the morning is this true? some tips would be so help full so i can try and separate the female and male tonight into my spare tank just in case she does want to spawn.

My Danio had eggs once. I did nothing at all to the tank, at the end of the day, she's going to have them at some point.

When my danio had hers, Most of the eggs must have been eaten, but the other day i saw a almost microscopic baby danio... but theres no way that will have survived anyway.

So in answer to your question, no (by my experiance) there is no need to do anything. But of course everyone has there opinion.

As for the time of day, you'll have to ask someone else.

James :good:

hmmm would be nice if i knew when and how to keep them alive if she does have eggs. i have a spare old tank set up, just incase i see it happen would be good to and raise some youngsters. they will get eaten in my main tank. but thanks anyway if anyone else can help that would be good but if not there just going to have to try and hide ey :)

Honestly? I wouldn't worry. Zebra danios are prolific breeders, it's just that they (and other fish) tend to eat the eggs quite quickly. If you want to breed them in the future, there will be more than enough oppertunities. Moving them about is just going to stress them and make it less likely for breeding to occur.

Having lots of plants like java moss usually helps egg and fry survival, however, even in a community tank setting.

okay thank you. i havent got any floating plants there all in the gravel. so i dont think there is much chance of breeding them in that tank at the moment. in future whats the best way to do breed them? how can you tell when there about to lay eggs. is raising there fry a good experince. had fish for about 2 years now and only just fort about maybe breeding some. i no platys are easy to breed so might give them ago soon. ive read all u need is water heater and a filter and they will breed lol. im sure its not that easy but sumthing i may look into :)

If your looking for something to breed, Dalmation Mollies are pretty good :good:

Obviously, they are live-bearers. And when the mother is to give birth it is pretty easy to tell.

Best thing to do is put her in one of those breeding compartments in another tank, let her give birth over night. Then her fry will fall down the gaps. Take her out in the morning put her back in the main. Then let the fry swim freely in your other tank :good:

James.

cheers for that. i think thats the best method. im finking about platys thou i used to have them when i was really young and they all had babys was great when i was young. now i would love to have that age. every breed them? is it a good experience? some forums say its really easy and soon ur tank will be over run with fry. cant believe it is that easy. but i do like the sound of breeding platys. dont think my tank is big enough for them with my danios so fink i may need a new tank for this :(

You will definately need a new tank for breeding fish, not for the 'getting down with it' bit, just the fry/eggs. because fish (understandably) will always eat eggs or fry.

I personally have never bred guppies, but my Mollies bred twice. And sure it is good to see little fish swimming around :wub:

Most reactions

Back