Need help stocking my 55

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

m.p.c706

Reaction score
Hello! My 55 is basically ready for fish and I had some questions in stocking. I have an idea of what I want but I don’t know if it will be too much or not.

9 female bettas
4 balloon belly mollies
2 black mollies
2 panda mollies
1 bristlenose pleco
5 Corydoras
3 cherry barbs

I know cherry barbs need more like 6 in a group but they are coming from an old tank to the new one, my LFS hasn’t had anymore in stock lately and they are doing great together. Any suggestions please!

What are your source (tap) water parameters? GH (generalhardness) is the most important, then pH. You may be able to find this out (unless you already know) from your municipal water authority, check their website.

The livebearers (mollies here) must have fiarly hard water. The other fish are soft water species with some "wiggle room" depending what the GH turns out to be.

I will leave it to the betta experts here as to whether a female betta sorority is OK with these other fish (aside from the parameter issue).

Again depending what the GH comes in as, more cories is strongly advisable. While five or six are usually the minimum number recommended, this species (any cory) will always do much better with more of them, and when you have space as here, aim for 12-15. Same species, or mixed, and if mixed it is usually best to have a few of each species selected.

Female bettas are usually kept in a species only tank which is termed a sorority. Personally, I would not keep other fish with them. Just because they are females does not mean they are peaceful fish, some are as bad as males.

Thank you, you two. I’ve had a betta sorority in the past but it’s been a while and I didn’t have a tank as large as this one. I’ve kept mollies with bettas before and had no problem, my main concern is overstocking

I agree with @essjay about the Female betta, several members have had bad experiences with mixing both male or female betta with other fish. As @Byron stated for the rest of the fish it will depend on your water. As far as the number and size of your fish I do not see an issue of over crowding in a 55 gallon but it is the type of fish that is the problem.

Thank you, you two. I’ve had a betta sorority in the past but it’s been a while and I didn’t have a tank as large as this one. I’ve kept mollies with bettas before and had no problem, my main concern is overstocking
That particular combination is not recommended. Mollies require very hard water and bettas are soft water fish. The health of one of these species would suffer if kept in the same water. What is the GH (general hardness) of your water. If you let us know the number and unit members can advise which species are suitable. This info may be available on your water supplier's website. Your original list includes hard and softwater fish.

I agree. We definitely need your GH in order to help you with stocking. Good luck!

I agree with all of the agrees above, lol. Definitely try to find out your Ph and GH. Do you have a test kit? If you don’t have one, try to get one. Or go to your LFS and ask for a water test.

You can find your GH from your water supplier. :)

Most reactions

Back