Need Help On Sand !

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

david831

Reaction score
Hi,
im about to go to the local pet store tomorrow and buy me a new 55 Gallon fish tank. i would like to get sand instead of gravel but idk what kind of fish will be fine with sand. Hope someone can help all help its greatly appreciated thanks! oh and the sand i want to get its called carib sea: black tahitian moon sand

Double check that the sand is smooth and actually sand. I bought something that the fish store called tahitian moon sand and it was course and sharp edged like glass and I believe led to problems with soft bellied fish (corys and plecos). If it is fine and "soft", I'm thinking any fish would work. Your limitations are more likely the tank size and your water stats. I just can't think of a fish that should not go on sand. The only thing is that some of the big cichlids move sand around a lot so many people do small gravel in 150 gallon oscar tanks for example.

just make sure it isn't "live" salt water sand. I was at a small fish store and they showed me some black sand that was packaged moist with salt water. read the bag very well before getting it.

on what kind of fish, I understand Cory's prefer a sandy bottom and will actually dig and stir it up a bit.

also sand it easier to clean

playsand is the way to go . its so much cheaper , easier to wash too :good:

I have to agree, playsand is far far cheaper and just as good as the 'proper' aquarium sand. If you are in the UK B&Q does a 25 kilo (I think) bag for less than a fiver - I think Argos is similar It does take a lot of washing though, so be patient and make sure the water runs clear for each half bucket load.

And don't be put off if it looks more like mud than sand when you first put it in the empty tank - by the time the water is in and has cleared (mine took 24 hours or so) and the lights are on, it looks like proper golden sand. Lots of fish, and especially corys, will really appreciate it.

I have to agree, playsand is far far cheaper and just as good as the 'proper' aquarium sand. If you are in the UK B&Q does a 25 kilo (I think) bag for less than a fiver - I think Argos is similar It does take a lot of washing though, so be patient and make sure the water runs clear for each half bucket load.

And don't be put off if it looks more like mud than sand when you first put it in the empty tank - by the time the water is in and has cleared (mine took 24 hours or so) and the lights are on, it looks like proper golden sand. Lots of fish, and especially corys, will really appreciate it.

I`ve just bought some playsand today from Argos,£2.99 for a 15kg bag!! You cant beat that for value,so much cheaper than your LFS would charge.

Homebase sell it at £4.99 a 20kg bag, its not so loose and doesnt disturb as easy

DO NOT BUY IT FROM B&Q, I've heard alot about the sand not being safe for the fish.

Matt, you are making me worry now - I have just added B&Q playsand to my new tank, which is currently at the start of a fishless cycle.

What is up with B&Q sand? Nothing on the bag indicated there was anything dodgy in it. How is it different from Argos/Homebase?

I'm not doubting you, just wanting a bit more info!

I just put play sand in my new tank yesterday. Had to wash it for about an hour and a half but it looks really nice. Water was cloudy at first but is almost completely clear now. Some people recommend swimming pool filter sand, I guess it requires less washing and is heavy enough that it won't get so stirred up when you vacuum your tank. I'm planning on moving a Dojo Loach into the new tank, they like to bury themselves in the sand.

Can people post pics of their playsand tanks please?

I'm back to square one with this new tank. :unsure:

How to people when washing the sand with a hose etc avoid putting chlorine contaminated sand into the tank? Does it not matter if it has been just washed in chlorine water?

Matt, you are making me worry now - I have just added B&Q playsand to my new tank, which is currently at the start of a fishless cycle.

What is up with B&Q sand? Nothing on the bag indicated there was anything dodgy in it. How is it different from Argos/Homebase?

I'm not doubting you, just wanting a bit more info!

Ive heard its not inert and will affect water conditions. Heard this from a few different people one here and another forum.

It may have just been the "kiln dried" playsand. :good:

After you put sand in and are filling the tank, put your dechlor in. It will all be fine.

I actually meant what do you do when you are adding the sand with the water still in,which seems to be what most people are doing these days.

Most reactions

Back