Need Help I.d.ing Fish

photoj

Reaction score
Ok... I saw this really great looking fish at the LFS about a month ago and didn't write it down. I'm hoping one of you might be able to tell me what it was. It was about 3-5 cm long yellow and green shinny body. the shape reminds me of a minoe. But the cool thing was it had these awesome little almost mustache like things growing out of it's head they were flowing as it swam so i don't think they were feelers. They were in a heavily planted tank with other fish. Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to get some for my tank.

Cheers
photoj

In my mind,... I have no doubt that you were looking at juvinile lungfish Arowana.... Aren't they cute at that stage???.....

Ok... I saw this really great looking fish at the LFS about a month ago and didn't write it down. I'm hoping one of you might be able to tell me what it was. It was about 3-5 cm long yellow and green shinny body. the shape reminds me of a minoe. But the cool thing was it had these awesome little almost mustache like things growing out of it's head they were flowing as it swam so i don't think they were feelers. They were in a heavily planted tank with other fish. Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to get some for my tank.

Cheers
photoj

where abouts in the world are you? and what where they selling for?

if your from the UK i highly doubt they where arowanas especially at 3-5cms but i suppose it could be possible

growing out of it's head they were flowing as it swam so i don't think they were feelers.

not sure if that line fits with the arowana theory, i thought arowana feelers where quite rigid not free flowing? but its a better guess than anything i can come up with atm

Juvenile Arowana have these Moustache looking "tailfins" prodruding from the edges of their mouths..... Tat is why I say, (confidently),... That he was looking at 'em.....

Sorry a little more info I'm in Canada. Not a lungfish Arowana. They were more like a parrot platy but with these mustache like things coming out of the side of the head, not really around the mouth more towards the top. A lot like the golden wonder link you sent but the things coming out of the head were ribbon like and about half the body length. Wish i could be more help. I'm going to head back to the LFS and see if anyone remembers them. I'll let you know.

Cheers
photoj

In my mind,... I have no doubt that you were looking at juvinile lungfish Arowana.... Aren't they cute at that stage???.....

was it a glass catfish

Yellow?... Minnow like....Moustache????.... It was an Arrowana.... Anyone got a pic of a juvenile Arrowana..... Photoj... Will confirm.

Juvenile Arowana have these Moustache looking "tailfins" prodruding from the edges of their mouths..... Tat is why I say, (confidently),... That he was looking at 'em.....

1. What on earth is a lungfish arowana, thats 2 different fish that couldnt be more different if you tried.
2. Aros are bigger than 3-5cm as soon as they hatch so no chance you are going to see one in a lfs at this size it will still have a yolk sack.
3. They dont have tail fins sticking out there head when there juviniles there have barbels protruding from there lower jaw all there life...... That is why I say, (confidently) that you have no clue what this fish is if your trying to call it a juvie aro and your knowledge on aros could do with a bit of refining.

A photo would definately help, failing that even a drawing might be useful.

Most reactions

Back