Need Help Fast!

Bev S.

Reaction score
Came home from work today and my black moor looks horrible. Here are some specifics. Please Help!

Tank size: 20 gal
pH: 7.8
ammonia: 1.0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: Between 0 & 5.0
kH: don't know
gH: don't know
tank temp: don't know but it's very warm

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): His body color has faded from black to whitish grey. His eyes are bulging. He is swimming listlessly near top of tank. There are bubbles stuck to his body. The only other fish in the tank with him is an algae eater & he looks fine.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: New tank. We inherited the fish before the tank was ready. The tank is about 4 weeks old & we've been changing water daily (25-50% water changes). Amonia level, nitrites & nitrates have just reached acceptable levels in the last 2-3 days.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: bacteria once a week, 4 talbespoons of aquarium salt once a week.k Stress coat in water that is going to be used for changes. Tap water conditioner to remove chlorine.

Tank inhabitants: Black moor & algae eater (2 other moors have died of the same thing)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): None

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible): I'll try to post a photo in the next few minutes

IMG_3449.JPG.

Here is a photo of the fish in question. It's not the best but I hope it's sufficient.

Just check your stock list is was overstocked at first, is the fish flicking and rubbing on objects, the white on the body does it look fluffy or a dusting of white.
Do a small water change, not good not have conditioner, but you do have to get that ommonia reading down.
Just worried about the algae eater as they are senstive fish with being scaless, i would still risk the water change.

It's bacterial, do you have any other fish in the tank, as you have ammonia reading, i would preform an immediate water change.
http://www.flippersandfins.net/pop-eye.htm

We just changed water yesterday . . . . is it ok to use tap water . . . . I don't have any water that has sat for 24 hours.

Fish is not flicking or rubbing objects. The body isn't fluffy . . . It doesn't really look like a dusting of white either. More like his skin is fading

Most reactions

Back