need help (algae problems)

TexasPadreSurfer

Reaction score
for the past few months i have had a major algae invasion in my sw tank and i have been trying everything of my knowlege to kill it and get rid of it its taking over my live rock and killing my coraline algae and polyps. im sick of it!!!!!!!!!!
i have never had algae problems like this since i was keeping aquariums. i have lowered the phosphate to .25 ppm and im trying to completely eliminate it. im using both phosbuster pro and phosban filter media to do this, im also using purple up to help increase coralline algae growth. i think the light has alot to do with it. its a coralife pc (2 actinic and 2 10000 k bulbs) i cant use a weaker light because of the coral and LR. its not timed but i try to keep the light on for the reccomended time. im currently getting timers. i have cleaned it out myself and signs of it reappear in about 24 hours. i clean everything but the rear glass.
does anyone have anny suggestions on how to get rid of this nusiance. tips, tricks, chemicals, any tank cleaning critters that just eat algae. ive tried feeding less i bought 20 blue leg hermits they just ate the flakes that the fish left behind. the sailfin algae blenny eats some but not often. the only one who eats the most of it is the longspine urchin but not enough it just grows back. its mostly olive greenish hair algae and brown sludge (thers tons of it growing on the gravel).
thanks for any help

Are you using RO water or tap water? If you are using tap water, switch to RO and it may help decrease it.

if you are in the US you can buy RO water for 58cents a gallon at walmart...since you cant get a machine :whistle:

$.58 a gal is a huge ripoff. Find an LFS that has lots of saltwatwer stuff, and chances are they'll sell RO water for about $.25-.35 per gallon. All you have to do is ask, usually.

Oh, and bring your own container :)

Padre,

Just some musings here.

Do you have good flow through the algae prone areas?
If you have phosphate readings from random tank samples, you would find it significantly higher near the algae itself. Good flow will help wash the phsphates from the problem areas and through your phosban or whatever other kind of medias your using to fight it.

Power compacts IME, have always been algae producers in larger tanks.

Definitely go with a RO/DI source for water. It will do wonders.

And you have an Urchin in a reef tank?? :eek:

GL

the problem areas are everywhere. and theres two powerheads (one occelates)
a skimmer and a hot magnum filter running current through the tank i turn on the airators to fill the aquarium with bubbles so i can see exactly where the current goes. i have been succesfull in keeping aquariums without RO water since ive been in the hobby which has been a long time. i dont mind the algae being in the rear glass of the tank. but i wonder if it could be causing the problem of it growing everywhere. an employee of my lfs said he lets algae grow on the rear glass of his tank and it causes no problems. the urchin does fine in the tank he moves all over the place and cleans off a spot or trail of algae on the lr and other rock. he doesent harm other tankmates or coral. is there anything i can get that eats only this brown sludge and green hair algae. a common trinidad plecostomas in each of my FW tanks easily keeps the algae at bay. i wish they could live in a SW invironment.

What size of tank have you got?

What is the overall Flow of the combined powerheads/externals etc.

You really need to make some Water Changes with RO Water Only, I would never use tap Water on my Salt tank

Most reactions

Back