Need Advice

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

porcelaindreams

Reaction score
I have a 20 gal aquarium with a commet goldfish, and I need to change the filter pad, the problem is, my nearest pet shop dont handle the brand I use which is Top Fin. I went to the store and one of the employees told me that if I used a filter pad that wasn´t the same brand as my filter, it could burn the ecosystem? so iam pretty much scared. Is it really that bad to use another brand? change the brand of the filter pads and use the Top Fin filter i have? Or just as last chance, should I buy the complete filter system again in order to use the brand that are commonly used around here? Any advice please will be gladly taken!

as far as i know no but if your worried than just use some media from the old one and it will be fine, BTW a comet goldfish cannot be in that small of the tank otherwise it will get stunted and die early.

Thank you ! so far that´s my top option, just need to find the correct size of filter pads, about the size dont worry, we´re already planning on buying a bigger tank, already earning money for it :)

Their information doesn't sound correct to me. Perhaps you could burn out the filter. For example if the media is too thick it can make the filter work harder to push water through and cause issues. However, normally, and in my experience, this isn't the case, especially if you're just doing it until you can get the proper stuff.

As mentioned by ncguppy830 keep the old media so that you will have the bacterial filtration it provides. Don't start with 100% new media or that WILL cause problems.

Other than that you should be good to go.

A comet will be okay in a 20 for a little while, so if it's small you are okay for now but again, plan on a glorious upgrade soon.

So it's better to buy a new filter, keeping the bacterial filtration I already have on the tank. Ok now I understad about the "burning out the filter" in that case I rather buy a new filter system , sounds better, even though I went searching in every store for the correct size of the filter pads, I didn't found the proper size.  I still have the old filter pad on the tank, I'll go and buy the whole filter and the replacements tomorrow. Thanks for explaining about the filter :)

About the size, well he went from 3 inches to 6 since we bought the new tank and keeps growing too fast!  So yeah, an upgrade is on my mind

Thanks for the advice :)

Yes. The bacteria is important. It's what takes care of the ammonia and nitrite in the tank. If you can buy bulk filter material you can cut it to fit.

Yes, they do grow!

Just wondering why you need to change the filter pad? If it's just a bit dirty, rinse it in old tank water, and reuse it. If it's literally falling apart, then it could do with changing.

toshapetriji said:
can you not order pads online somewhere
Not that easy, at least not for me (; it was one of my options but I rather buy them at a store than to wait for them to arrive.

the_lock_man said:
Just wondering why you need to change the filter pad? If it's just a bit dirty, rinse it in old tank water, and reuse it. If it's literally falling apart, then it could do with changing.
It was literally falling apart, I rinse the filter pad whenever it was dirty, but since I was using the same filter for a long time, it had a huge hole and wasn't filtering water anymore.

Iam glad to announce that I already bought the new filter, and put the biological filter of the old one inside it, I appreciate every advice, since Iam new with fish tanks :) . Thanks!

Ok, Now i have another question, when putting a new filter with the biological pad of the old filter, should the tank start cycling? Yesterday the water was clear and when I woke up this morning it was white kinda when the cycle starts, is it ok?

Most reactions

Back