Need advice please

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MsLiia01

Reaction score
Hello my name is Lia. Ive recently become a betta fish owner, I currently do not have the betta at my house, he is at my in laws. I set up a large fish tank at my house that i set up yesterday, im getting the tank ready for when i pick him up later on in the week. When we brought him on saturday he came with extra water because i didnt have water set up & he was use to the water he was already in. At my in laws hes staying in a fish bowel for the time being, he doesn't a heater or a filter in his bowel. My question is can i change his water or am i best off waiting until i put him in the big tank?

Thank you in advance

You need a heater and filter otherwise that fish will die soon. How big is the tank you putting him, in length x width x height? Also you need to check your GHand pH. @Colin_T knows a lot more than me so should be able to help out more :)

You need a heater and filter otherwise that fish will die soon. How big is the tank you putting him, in length x width x height? Also you need to check your GHand pH. @Colin_T knows a lot more than me so should be able to help out more :)
Ok great, thank you so much for that advice. Ill 100% get the heater & filter, i really want to keep him alive as he's a present for my son. Damn i can't remember if I'm being honest. Right, that reminds me. What do i change his water or do i leave him in the pet store water?

Definitely change the water! Use betta water conditioner and make sure it has set to the right temperature. Otherwise, your betta will go into shock and not eat for awhile. Or he might even die. Just watch his behavior the first few days of putting him into the clean water, he should be fine. I have had so many bettas and they aren't high maintenance. It is just the idea of watching their behavior because they are susceptible to things like fin rot. But he should be fine. Clean the water, let it sit to about room temp and then put him in. Do NOT keep him in the pet store water.

Happy day...ok, now I need to know. What is it that you are trying to decide if you were being honest about? Is it obtaining the heater and filter? Really wanting to keep it alive? Really giving it to your son? That you are thankful for the advice?

One thing about this forum...it is a great place for getting things off your chest. Its kinda like...a confessional. Just between us aquarists. Feel free to let it all hang out. We're used to wet and juicy details.

Definitely change the water! Use betta water conditioner and make sure it has set to the right temperature. Otherwise, your betta will go into shock and not eat for awhile. Or he might even die. Just watch his behavior the first few days of putting him into the clean water, he should be fine. I have had so many bettas and they aren't high maintenance. It is just the idea of watching their behavior because they are susceptible to things like fin rot. But he should be fine. Clean the water, let it sit to about room temp and then put him in. Do NOT keep him in the pet store water.
Ok, everything is noted. Do i have to use betta conditioner or will any conditioner work fine?

Happy day...ok, now I need to know. What is it that you are trying to decide if you were being honest about? Is it obtaining the heater and filter? Really wanting to keep it alive? Really giving it to your son? That you are thankful for the advice?

One thing about this forum...it is a great place for getting things off your chest. Its kinda like...a confessional. Just between us aquarists. Feel free to let it all hang out. We're used to wet and juicy details.

Any water conditioner will work for bettas. I recommend Seachem Prime though, it’s one of the best.

Make sure that the filter is low flow or a sponge filter. Any other filter will shred your betta.

You can read my paper Ive been stress alot

Any water conditioner will work for bettas. I recommend Seachem Prime though, it’s one of the best.

Make sure that the filter is low flow or a sponge filter. Any other filter will shred your betta.

You can read my paper for more information: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-research-paper.465208/
I e been stressing alot, but thanks to you i can ease up abit. Thank you so much. Youve helped me out alot.

Do i still need a filter even while hes in the fish bowl?

I e been stressing alot, but thanks to you i can ease up abit. Thank you so much. Youve helped me out alot.

If it's a small bowl you probably won't be able to put a filter on it but maybe you could get something like an airstone just to oxygenate the water while he's in there until you get him in his tank.

Yes, bettas still need a filter, even when in a bowl. If you can’t fit a small sponge filter in there, an airstone will be a close second.

When do you estimate you will be able to move him over to the bigger tank?

I do like Seachem Prime. It is awesome. But when I had bettas I used the betta conditioner and it worked great as well. You just need more of it. I didn't have a filter, but I cleaned his tank ever week. If you do get a filter, I recommend a stream filter since, from my experience, bettas don't like loud noise or bright light.

Ok, so I would say to one get a filter and heater, (you might've done so but remider anyway) two upgrade his 'bowl' to a tank preferably 3-5 gallons. I don't use Seachem Prime but probably will afterwards lol so get some of that stuff too :)

I do like Seachem Prime. It is awesome. But when I had bettas I used the betta conditioner and it worked great as well. You just need more of it. I didn't have a filter, but I cleaned his tank ever week. If you do get a filter, I recommend a stream filter since, from my experience, bettas don't like loud noise or bright light.
Your advice helped me out alot, thank you so much

Ok, so I would say to one get a filter and heater, (you might've done so but remider anyway) two upgrade his 'bowl' to a tank preferably 3-5 gallons. I don't use Seachem Prime but probably will afterwards lol so get some of that stuff too :)
Is prime different to the conditioner?

Most reactions

Back