Natural Ways To Neutralize Amonia

jurme

Reaction score
as the title said im looking for a natural way to neutralize amonia in my fish tank, i had stocked my tank to quickly and now have very high levels of amonia. I am not looking for a chemical solution though.

The ammonia will neutralize itself. You will get bacteria that will change ammonia to nitrites and then to the harmless nitrates. If it is to high you can do partial water changes. You might loose fish, although some people might argue this.

The natural way to reduce ammonia is to do frequent water changes. Everyone has different experiences by doing fish-in cycling and/or high ammonia, but with *mine*, the only two fish I lost were both guppies who were sickly to begin with. I'm not sure what was wrong with the first one (he never ate, but he was my first fish and it wasn't until I got another that I realized something was wrong with him), but with the second, he had worms (long stringy white stuff) and I treated him, but it didn't help. You need strong, hardy fish to handle the higher amounts of ammonia.

I take it you have an API ammonia test kit? Watch and test daily.

How long ago did you purchase your fish? There is always the option of returning a few.

You can use the same method as happens out in a river or stream, what could be more natural. New water comes along and replaces all of the water the fish was swimming in. In your home you will need to remove the artificially added chlorine or chloramine by using a dechlorinator but the water change has the same effect in your home tank. I doubt that you will be willing to do as much water changing as the typical small stream would do, at 100% every few seconds but you can do enough on a smaller scale to effectively remove the toxic ammonia build.

Most reactions

Back