Natural Dechlorination

a_w_jr

Reaction score
i think my LFS said that all i need to do is let my water set out a while for it to naturally dechlorinate. Is this true and how long?

Thanks... i love this board :D

Allan

Chlorine can leave the water naturally (especially if aerated) however chloramine is much harder to do so. That is why de-chlor is the best thing to use. It works instantly (meaning you can dump it in th tank and then fill up straight from the tank) and is not very expensive.

Get a reading of your local water from your supplier and be sure the numbers are safe. Dechlorinators take care not only of chlorine, but also other harmful metals in the water. If you choose to do it by the standing method then make sure you use an air pump in it - the chlorine needs to be gassed out and if the water is perfectly still nothing will happen anyway.

Get a reading of your local water from your supplier and be sure the numbers are safe. Dechlorinators take care not only of chlorine, but also other harmful metals in the water. If you choose to do it by the standing method then make sure you use an air pump in it - the chlorine needs to be gassed out and if the water is perfectly still nothing will happen anyway.

i purchased some water conditioner...better safe than sorry. thanks again

i purchased some water conditioner...better safe than sorry. thanks again
I use king british Safe Guard it onlly costs £2.99 and lasts for ages

according to the directions a small amount goes along way! I just checked my tap water stats. PH 7, PHhigh 7.4, everything else are 0's. How would one test for hardness or metals?

How would one test for hardness or metals?

You can buy general hardness tests, but don't waste your money - with your PH it's going to be at safe levels, and attempts to lower this will only cause more harm then good.

You can request a complete readout from your water company - it will state what additives and chemicals they add to it (that way you know for sure if they use chlorine or chloromine) and will also give levels of other elements that could adversly affect the fish in high quantities. You may not be able to make sense of everything, but you'll catch the important stuff, and you'll find people here who will help you. Now, this step might seem overboard and probably isn't worth it if you're using conditioner as a caution anyway, but at least make the call and ensure that they do not use chloromine.

make sure you check the bottle for removes chlorine, chloramines, and neutralizes heavy metals...some don't do all three.

Most reactions

Back