Nano Tank Skimmers

jennybugs

Eternally pruned fingers!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking about the future of my relatively new D-D 24 gal nano and have got round to the subject of skimmers, thanks to reading some comments that Ben and Barney put up on another thread *cheers guys* :rolleyes: :lol:

Can anyone recommend any models to look at that definately fit into my tank without modifications? Are there any that I don't have to hack the actual tank about to fit in the rear compartments?

At the mo - for those of you who don't know - I have chaeto, floss and lr rubble in chamber 1, lr rubble and floss in chamber 2, and the heater, pump and Purigen sachet in chamber 3.

I am also thinking about this because once I solve the micro bubble issue (sealant arrival is imminent as I know why it's happening) I am hoping that will polish the water up somewhat. At the moment I am not sure (even with my specs on) if there are just microbubbles in the tank or if there's sediment whizzing about too :shifty:
The floss does a good job of removing particles and I seem to have improved the surface film issue by redirecting my koralias, but how would I know if there's too much circulation - apart from my clowns flying about (which they're not)? Would excess water movement cause particles to be thrown around the tank?

I am probably worrying too much at the moment and should wait til I seal up the piping from the maxijet to the tank properly, but I have an inquisitive mind :blush:

Anyhoo, I'll shut up for the moment (I can hear you all cheering!) :lol:

How much space do you have to play with?

Personally I would be tempted to go for a hang on back skimmer and mod the hood to fit it in. The reason for this is that it will be easier to mod something on to it to remove micro bubbles (which I think is likely to be an isssue with any nano sized skimmer) and it then doesnt take up space in the tank.

Depending on what space you have in the back compartments you will probably be able to get one that goes in there (or make your own :) ).

hey jenny, i would agree with barney. Maybe look at the TMC v2 120 as they can be had very cheap on ebay these days and they are decent little skimmers too

So I could get an issue with yet more microbubbles with a skimmer? I already have an issue with them thanks to the rubbish elbow bend and piping that came with the tank :lol: Soon to be fixed though.

I don't want to do any hacking about of the tank yet as it will nullify my 6 month warranty from D-D so I have been told.

I was thinking after the warranty is up I can chop up what I like :lol: I could even make a sump that will fit underneath in the cupboard which would solve any space issues :D

Many peeps take the attitude that a skimmer won't be necessary in a nano as I'm doing weekly 8-10 litre water changes.

I'll wait til I seal up the elbow bend and piping properly, allowing the bubbles to clear off, then see how the land lies, anyway, but thought I could ask a few questions for the record.

I'll have a measure up at the weekend anyway Barney, and have a look out for any small sump type tanks too.

There I was buying a plug and play because I was in the dark about the gubbins needed to start your own sump up, and already I'm understanding it all and making plans :lol: It's so much easier to understand once you have a running tank in front of your face :D

once you see what a skimmer takes out you will probably not want to run without one again.
You can get micro bubbles from a skimmer though yeah

Yeah it really is isnt it, I did the same thing. I read up on marine tanks for months before I got one then got an "all in one" unit. It was only after I got it running that everything made sense and I actually know what I "really" wanted to have :)

once you see what a skimmer takes out you will probably not want to run without one again.
You see, that's the comment that made me start thinking of skimmers! What ARE you trying to do to me? :lol:

Do you visibly notice a difference in the look of the water with a skimmer, or is it one of those invisible polishers like carbon can be in a fw tank?

i think my whole tank looks clearer now but maybe thats just me?

0its the fact that i get a cup full of brown stinking gunk every few days that makes me feel its worth the money. I wouldnt want that floating aroun me all day. Nothing smells worse than fresh skim mate

Most reactions

Back