Name My Catfish

rossandrews

Reaction score
please help me name my catfish.

it was purchased today as a borneo catfish but I cant find this on the internet?

thanks

Attachments

• Fish1.jpg
    Fish1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 95
ive had a pictus and its not one of those. its around 5" long

Attachments

• fish 2.jpg
    fish 2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 114
Think its a Synodntis, almost a S. schall but not quite right.

lol sorry but dont try to pm me (long story) but thankyou for the recommendation Fishyfriend :)

I think its some kind of Mystus catfish had a quick search and narrowed it down IMO to M.Armatus or M.Castaneus but since it was called a Borneo Catfish I would go with M.Castaneus as the type species is listed as near a market in Bourneo :)

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/_species.php?species_id=788

Wills

do synodontis come in a flat silver colour i thought they were spotted or striped?

looks spot on thank you!!

:) Its a great site, The reason I went for Castaneus is because it came from Borneo it is also the most common of the species in the hobby as well. But its hard to say exactly - the other thing is the dorsal fin is damaged which makes it hard to know if its pointed or rounded which makes the difference in this case.

Wills

Definitely not a syno or pim as it has 8 barbels (an extra pair of nasal barbels that pims and synos don't have), but, as Wills says, Mystus is a good possibility. I also don't think it's M.cavasius - if it was it would have the dark spot behind the gills, which your fish doesn't.
For me, the eyes look just too big for a Mystus but that's not saying it's isn't one.
Martin

Yours doesn't appear to have any markings, which the fish you have linked to has, and the caudal (tail) shape also looks wrong to me. I'd also guess that any fish that has no keepers is going to be unlikely (though not impossible). Can I suggest you post the picture over on PC as there are several guys over there that are much more familiar with the species than myself.
HTH
Martin

Most reactions

Back