Mystery Oto

Dave Pauls

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
sooo.... I just picked up 4 of these little suckers... tehe. I don't really know what they are.... or if they need any special care. here is a picture of them. I they are still in the bag.

Attachments

• mystery_oto.JPG
    mystery_oto.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 57
nope.... it looks exactly like the oto, but it is a different colour. the picture makes it look a bit shorter than an oto, but it is just the angle. I'm pretty sure it is an oto.... I just don't know what kind.
DAVE

I'd have also said it was a Pleco but not sure which one. Check out Planetcatfish.com to see if you can get an ID, if not I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. :good:

Looks like a pitbull pleco LDA25... possible a dwarf gold spot ;)

Have you got any more pictures now its settled in?

For once, I think I got answer. :fun:

I got same fish 2 years ago from local store and they were marked only as Oto. Since then, one of them got so wide and almost ready to burst(obviously she was female but never get eggs from them) so I did little research and looking for few more. But I never see them until few months ago. Anyway, I think their common name is "Niger Oto". Now I have 4 of them and 1 is so wide and round. I moved to the cooler tank and keeping eyes on them like few days ago. And see if I can get any eggs.

Here is the link for it.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...species_id=1386

hmm. soo.... maybe it isn't an otto? they are really small... like an inch long... but I guess plecos start small too eh? well..... I will try and get some pictures from the top. it is kinda mottled on top. with little lines at the nose.

For once, I think I got answer. :fun:

I got same fish 2 years ago from local store and they were marked only as Oto. Since then, one of them got so wide and almost ready to burst(obviously she was female but never get eggs from them) so I did little research and looking for few more. But I never see them until few months ago. Anyway, I think their common name is "Niger Oto". Now I have 4 of them and 1 is so wide and round. I moved to the cooler tank and keeping eyes on them like few days ago. And see if I can get any eggs.

Here is the link for it.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...species_id=1386

That is TOTALLY them. I think. I'm not going to lie... I'm not nearly an expert at identifying plecos... but they were sold to me as plecos, and those pics look a lot like them.
DAVE

Attachments

• mystery_oto2.JPG
    mystery_oto2.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 50
just to clear a point up... Ottos are plecs ;)

They are all from the Loricariidae group ;)

Congrats on your great pickup. These are pretty hard to come by. I got a group of 5 oto's last year, and 4 were either Otocinclus mariae or macrospilus , and the other looked just like the one in your pic. I have battled to find out what she was, and find her some friends.

They are lovely, hard working little fish. My female eats non stop, and is a better algae eater than the other oto's.

Great pics.

:good:

Congrats on your great pickup. These are pretty hard to come by. I got a group of 5 oto's last year, and 4 were either Otocinclus mariae or macrospilus , and the other looked just like the one in your pic. I have battled to find out what she was, and find her some friends.
They are lovely, hard working little fish. My female eats non stop, and is a better algae eater than the other oto's.
Great pics.

Right on, thank you. I picked up 4 (that was all they had) and they all seem to be doing good so far. hopefully all will go well with them, and I will keep my eyes open for any more. :) if I can get a shot of them from above I will post that too.
DAVE

Most reactions

Back