Mystery Cichlid At Walmart Plz At Least Read

ScoutCarcer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
At Walmart they sell Assorted African Cichlids. They have a very pretty one that I would like to know what kind of African Cichlid it is. Its completly black except it has yellow on the ends of its fins. What is this cichlid?

What was it shaped like? Can you find anything on the internet that resembles it, even if the color is not right? It rings no bells for me.

Lol modernhamlet :p but, actualy, that's a pretty accurate way of seeing things -

Wallmart has a terrible reputation as far as supplying healthy fish is concerned and tanks marked with 'assorted cichlids' (regardless of where they are actualy being sold) are usualy stocked with hybrids that are best avoided.

Well I don't know what your fish is. You'd probably have to give more details. We don't even know whether its malawian or tanganyican or what after all. But, my point, you would do well to avoid this fish (or any other 'assorted cichlids' from wallmart :p).

If its a beatiful fish and you like it why not get it?

I know a lot of people are against hybrids and I am not trying to turn this thread into a debate/argument.

colen said:

I know a lot of people are against hybrids and I am not trying to turn this thread into a debate/argument.
[snapback]915339[/snapback]​

because a hybrid of completely unknown ancestry may be grow into a 2 inch sweetie or a 2 foot devil. neither of which would thrive in a tank of the other kind.

pica_nuttalli said:
colen said:

[snapback]915339[/snapback]​

because a hybrid of completely unknown ancestry may be grow into a 2 inch sweetie or a 2 foot devil. neither of which would thrive in a tank of the other kind.
[snapback]915348[/snapback]​

Either way. If he likes and wants that fish that much then there is no reason for not getting it. Inless of course he is unable to house the fish properly.

I point is I own many hybrids and they are beatiful fish regardless of what mix they may be.

colen said:
Either way. If he likes and wants that fish that much then there is no reason for not getting it. Inless of course he is unable to house the fish properly.

I point is I own many hybrids and they are beatiful fish regardless of what mix they may be.
[snapback]915395[/snapback]​
Colen, he's not talking about beauty. It may be the most beautiful fish in the whole world, but if you can't identify the species, you have no way of knowing the fishes needs. Size, diet, behavior... none of these can be accurately guessed with an unidentified hybrid.

If you don't know what the fish needs, you shouldn't keep the fish.

modernhamlet, your right.

Sorry, never thought about it that way. I guess I just have had a little different experience but that does not mean anything.

Thanks.

Ah... Black Acei. Very nice! Same requirements as the regular acei, which is a fantastic fish. You should definitely try to get a group of them though. They are the closest thing to schooling fish you'll find in mbuna.

Most reactions

Back