My Two Oscars

tinyuk

Reaction score
Hi, I am a newbie to the site and have looked seriously into keeping Oscars. THe reason is that i went to my LFS and they had a few oscars in there, some reds, some tigers, and some albinos. I initially went for a Tiger Oscar and put it in my existing tank. Knowing it would chase the fish in there, i took the chance. As soon as they started to dissapear (which did take a few days) i went out and invested in an inbetween tank. I bought a 200l tank and decced it out and let the water settle.When i had sorted to buy the tank i put an extra filter in the original tank so that it would get the uptake of bacteria already existing in the tank. When i had eventually filled the new tank, i took the old filter and used it in the new tank. After a day, in went the Oscar, two plecs and a cray fish.
I went back to the LFS and had to buy another! So i now have two oscars!
Anyways, i put the second in the tank floating in his bag for an hour and the other oscar paid alot of attention to the new guest. After an hour i released the other oscar slowly, letting the tank water mix with his until he was swimming free. Welll, the fun then started. Vibrating tail fin, wafting each other with their tails and then the lip lock. Anyway, after an hour they stopped fighting and then the new fish was chasing the existing one everywhere. I monitored them and then had to go out. I came back an hour later and they are now swimming together in harmony! Strange but wonderful creatures!

And as a quick note to those that will inevitably warn me about the tank becoming massively too small, when i purchased the second Oscar, i spoke to the guy and they work with someone who does custom tanks. I asked about a tank measuring 70 inch long x 24 inch wide x 48 inch tall and was told that would be easily achievable. Now, i am not one for knowing gallons etc but i do know that that tank will suffice the oscars needs. All i need to do first is redecorate the lounge to get the lounge to suit such a tank.

im also not one to ONLY take into account the maximum size. so as long as you have enough filtration, and planes to upgrade as they grow, youre in good shape.
keep in mind that these are just about the messiest fish you can add to a tank, so you may want to bump up your filtration a little more then you normally would.

It is possible 48inch tall....I was offered a 48inch tall once, but was told it was near impossible to clean...hehe.

was it a big tank though nelly? i.e. 48inch long or longer?
I had a look around in the past for tall tanks and found that as soon as you went over 24-30inches in height the price started to spiral into seriously big money?

Just installed a new filter. Invested in an external filter. Dont worry though! The old filter with all of the beneficial bacteria is still running so that it can pass over to the new filter. Will keep it in for a week or so.
Got to say though, it does turn over the water pretty well and provides a good circulation of water around the tank! The plants look like they're blowing in a gentle breeze!!!

When i bought this filter, i looked at the fluval 4 plus filters and decided that when i get the bigger tank that i'm going to put on of them at each end and also put the external inlet/outlet in the middle. This i hope would provide excellent filtration as well as excellent water circulation, stopping the possibility of any cold spots and keeping the water to a constant temp.

Most reactions

Back