My Tank and Fishes

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alia

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hopefully I will now share with you some photos of my biggest tank and most of my fishes. Wish me luck! ;)

Well, it didn't work. :no: Maybe my file was too big. It said 377KB. Maybe someone can tell me if that is too large to upload here.

It needs to be a .jpg or a .gif to be uploaded I think perhaps you had a .bmp ? 377kb is quite large if you want to email it to me I can compress it a little: [email protected]

Thanks and look forward to seeing your tanks :)

Thanks, William. There are actually a number of pics, not just one, but maybe you can tell me -- I opened them in Microsoft Photo Editor and changed them from 16-bit truecolor to 256 color, which made the file sizes smaller, but the quality really suffers, too. Is there a way to make the file smaller without sacrificing so much of the quality? I'm pretty new to the whole digital photography thing, but I'd like to know how to do something as basic as that.

Okay, I was going to show you the before and the after, but this shot is huge! Why does it look so big when it is so much smaller when I look at it on my computer?

(Bear with me guys. I'll change the size as soon as William tells me how)

Alia,

Open it up in Micro$oft Photo Editor and select Image, Resize. Set the Units to Pixels, make sure that Allow Distortion is NOT ticked, and then put something like 600 in the Width box. The Height should adjust automatically.

It will then look very small, but that is because Photo Editor is likely to have scaled the image down - look on the menu bar and if you can see something other than 100% you can change this to see the image full size.

Select File, Save As and make sure the type is set to JPEG - click on More and you will see a bar which allows you to set the quality factor which trades size against quality. I find that dropping it down a notch or two helps keep the file sizes reasonable and the loss in quality is not obvious.

Here's the result.

HTH, Eddie

Attachments

• alia1.jpg
    alia1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 67
I was going to post a response but it looks like Eddie beat me to it. the only proble with using photo editor is that you get little jagged lines (look at the anacharis) if you want quality photo editing you will want something like paintshop pro or adobe photoshop. the downside is they carry rather hefty price tags. here is the same image done in photoshop. though the file size is a bit larger it retains more image quality

Thanks for all the excellent help, guys. :hyper:

I know about the price tag on that photo editing software, Tanked, it's a shocker. I keep hoping I'll get it in a bundle with something else I buy, but I guess I'm too cheap, cause I never do. :D I'm going to go back and get rid of that HUMONGOUS image now.

Thanks again. I'll post more pics later when I am at home.

Most reactions

Back