My Story - Nightmare To Euphoria...rescape Allready 17/08/12!

mrvillicus

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So it all started early May. A visit to my local sea life centre prompted a purchase of my first fish tank, it was to be tropical. It was a 2ft marina with all included, so I plonked it on my kitchen worktop and the passion began....I was not to know the journey i'd be embarking on!

After a week or so I had joined fishforums for some info, ideas and help. Straight away my vision began and the ideas were flowing. However dark times were ahead, I had made a huge mistake and completely "cocked" up my cycle. After a lot of fish deaths I did some real research into the nitrogen cycle and what was going on. By now it was mid june and I had bought a 3ft tank and was still struggling with the cycle, daily tests and multiple daily water changes were driving me mad, let alone my missus!!

I had played around with decor, gravel, wood and species of fish and I still didnt feel happy with my setup. I asked for help on the forum and got some great advice regarding my cycle, I had to just keep up with the water changes until the day came. Now its the end of june and in a mad moment I went and upgraded to a 4ft tank! It was £10, a real bargain. I went and bought an Allpondsolutions external filter and made up a hood and went for it big time, still battling with my never ending cycle

My 4ft tank had been setup now for about 3 weeks or so and when the end of july came I had my setup, my stock and the filter was running super. Still doing daily water tests and HUGE water changes I was still determined to beat the nasty ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. By now I imagine the forum were bored with my persistent questions and moaning, but as ever, people helped me along. Now this moment was key to my success, I decided to buy 2 firemouth cichlids and some tetra from a local shop, I asked them for a nice massive piece of mature filter media, the next day I had a delivery of my request. So straight away the media went in and things were to change

After two days my water was changing, slowly the ammonia went to the magic 0, then a week later the nitrite 0..my excitement was through the roof! My fish were happy and so was I, and on this very day I wake up with anxiety, wondering whether the day has arrived, well it hasnt just yet as my nitrates were 40ppm, but hey after 83 days, im as good as there! EUPHORIA FINALLY WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You may be wondering why ive wrote this, well its really to give beginners an idea of what can happen if it's not done right. 83 days is a long time, and im still not 100% there, impatience, mistakes and general stupidness all add to making what should be a fun experience, an absolute nightmare. I've spent a lot of money, had the water hitting the ceiling from my filter because I forgot to turn it off when taking the lid off, had lots of deaths, had water completely covering my living room floor, but hey, its never fun when it goes smoothly right?

Take your time, be patient and do your research. Some people wil think im going over the top, but there will be people just like me that mess it all up, im just trying to give an insight on what can happen. I'll put some pics up of my final tank setup with its stock list...and Ill leave you a very happy fishkeeper that after 83 days, is 99% there to a completed cycle

Stock:-

1 lonely neon tetra (the only survivor)
2 Dwarf apisto's
2 firemouth cichlid
3 melini corydoras
12 columbian tetra

Current Setup:-

Angel 48 x 12 x 21 tank
Argos playsand
Vallis
Java fern
Morecambe bay rock
Redmoor
1 x 30w 3ft daylight fluro tube
APS 1000 external filter
APS 300w heater

P8160047.jpg

P8160044.jpg

P8160021.jpg

P8160022.jpg

P8160024.jpg

P8110019.jpg

P8160026.jpg

P8110014.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Sl4ujvBV0&feature=youtu.be

Very nice tank. Setup in my eyes is simple but effective :) Keep up the good work.

You THINK you will get there you mean lol what I mean by this is, if your anything like me then you will never be 100% satisfied with your tank. There will always be something that you feel has to be changed, moved, altered slightly.... Lol I find it next to impossible to leave my tanks alone and when I do eventually I'm still sat there watching thinkin "what can I do next". I could literally be in the middle of scaping my tank whilst already thinking of other plans haha

Nice tank you have there :good: I was over the moon when i got my 5 footer (juwel rio 400). Now lookin forward to taking delivery of my 8 footer. I admit... I'm slightly obsessed lol

You THINK you will get there you mean lol what I mean by this is, if your anything like me then you will never be 100% satisfied with your tank. There will always be something that you feel has to be changed, moved, altered slightly.... Lol I find it next to impossible to leave my tanks alone and when I do eventually I'm still sat there watching thinkin "what can I do next". I could literally be in the middle of scaping my tank whilst already thinking of other plans haha

Nice tank you have there :good: I was over the moon when i got my 5 footer (juwel rio 400). Now lookin forward to taking delivery of my 8 footer. I admit... I'm slightly obsessed lol

8 FOOT HOLY SH******T!!! haha Ive just read your post and since my last one....ive rescaped haha!!

P8170056.jpg

P8170058.jpg

P8170057.jpg

P8170059.jpg

P8170055.jpg

Im going to have hairgrass carpeting the sand coming down from the " mountain" on the right which will be covered in moss hopefully :)

Yep 8 foot.. Was going to get a 6ft x 2 x 2 but iv got a 5 foot now and my other half thinks i wont be happy with a 6ft after a few weeks :blink: she knows best so going for the 8 foot...

See I told you lol always thinking of new things :) that should look awesome mate.

Yep 8 foot.. Was going to get a 6ft x 2 x 2 but iv got a 5 foot now and my other half thinks i wont be happy with a 6ft after a few weeks :blink: she knows best so going for the 8 foot...

See I told you lol always thinking of new things :) that should look awesome mate.

Hell my other half begged me to stay with my 4 footer... I'm so happy I upgraded to my 6 footer!!! :) would love to go with 8 though.

Pics didnt show up for me but hell of a journey that you went through. I did the same. set my tank up and brought my big goldfish and koi in from the pond a few years ago.. oops. had my water tested and asked them what i could do and they said TAKE THEM **** FISH OUT OF THAT TANK!! So needless to say they stayed in the pond over winter and survived and stayed happy.. if I only knew of this site to give me the information i needed. glad it all worked out for you too!!! B-)

Hell my other half begged me to stay with my 4 footer... I'm so happy I upgraded to my 6 footer!!! :) would love to go with 8 though.

I just think it would be a waste of money to go from a 5 foot to a 6 foot and I wouldnt be satisfied with it long term so that's why I'm going to 8ft. I'd possible go bigger but I don't have the space :(
Pics didnt show up for me but hell of a journey that you went through. I did the same. set my tank up and brought my big goldfish and koi in from the pond a few years ago.. oops. had my water tested and asked them what i could do and they said TAKE THEM **** FISH OUT OF THAT TANK!! So needless to say they stayed in the pond over winter and survived and stayed happy.. if I only knew of this site to give me the information i needed. glad it all worked out for you too!!! B-)

Most reactions

Back