My Sister's Betta Is Sick.

macks03

Reaction score
http://www.fishforums.net/content/Bettas/2...rs-Betta-Sick-/

Posted this in the betta forum before I noticed this one. I've searched with google, but have not found an answer. This is my sister's betta and I don't really know much about them.

Tank stats - I honestly have no way really knowing.

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): - Swimming around against the tank's walls, not noticing me/food, seemingly unable to see, eyes normally blue are now reddish, going up for air often.

Tank volume/water change - see picture for volume. Don't know how often the water is changed.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: don't know.

Tank inhabitants: The fish.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none.

Exposure to chemicals: don't know.

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 20
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 18
Without water stats we would be guessing, its the first thing to look at is to rule bad water quality out.
I would do a immediate water change.
Also invest in some liquid test kits.
The red eye does it look like a pool of blood.

As Wilder suggested, water quality is the probable cause. However, depending on how old your sister is, and if the tank is in her bedroom, it could be chemical poisoning from hair sprays, perfumes, deodorants or anything else that gets used by teenage girls to make them look more womanly (not sure if that's a word but it sounds good).
Siamese fighting fish are air breathers and normally take a mouthful of air every minute or so. If there is any chemical residue on the surface, (from the hair spray, etc) then the fish might be having trouble getting the air, or the air is going to be contaminated.

The red eyes are from blood. Poor water quality or a bacterial infection can cause it. Usually poor water quality.

Just get her to do some water changes like Wilder said and see if it improves. Also check for the air spray bit and if it is being used then try to get your sister to use the sprays in another room, or put some newspaper over the container while she is spraying. 10 minutes after she has finished gassing herself, the paper can be removed.

Most reactions

Back