My Shark

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phreaxer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey you guys, I thought I would share some good news since I have been posting depressing junk today. This is my killer... ok, fine, he is a community fish, but it sounds cool to call him a "shark" :D

Attachments

• shark.jpg
    shark.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 42
dont know might be wrong but isnt your fish also know as pangasius cat fish, also known as dolphin shark, it grows huge one of the largest freshweter fish, he looks cool though nice shape.

dave

Thanks you guys. He is a columbian cat fish (another name I have heard them called) and I have him in a fairly small tank at the moment... but I am prepared to be upgrading the tank as he continues to grow.

Nik said:
Have always liked the look of these but have never invested. How much of a community fish is he?? -_-
When I first got him, he wasnt a community fish at all... he was picking on everyone else in the tank. I seperated him and was planning on taking him back to the lfs, but felt bad and decided to give him another shot. I put him back in the tank and watched him for a couple hours. He did much better and now he leaves his tankmates alone and just does his own thing.... :D

Phreaxer,

I thought is was a columbian catfish, but had not finished coffee yet so dod not want to be wrong. just to let you know, that guy will get over 4 ft long and as they get larger they need to be conditioned from fresh to brackish waters and eventually to a full marine system. they are a pain in the @$$ to take care of. you may want to research him a bit more and decide if it is worth the trouble of keeping him.

Tanked said:
that guy will get over 4 ft long and as they get larger they need to be conditioned from fresh to brackish waters and eventually to a full marine system. they are a pain in the @$$ to take care of.
Thanks tanked,saved me the trouble of typing :D

cat fish crazy said:
:D and to think that 4 1/2 months ago (2 months before joining this forum) I knew nothing about fish!!! I have put in about 6-8 hours research a day since joining though, between reading this forum, other forums, and many of the websites out there. (I'm to cheap to buy books) :p

cat fish crazy said:
Tanked said:
that guy will get over 4 ft long and as they get larger they need to be conditioned from fresh to brackish waters and eventually to a full marine system. they are a pain in the @$$ to take care of.
Hmmm... I read somewhere that he will get to be something like 16-18" max... I guess you guys know much better than I do though, so I definately am not arguing... I really dont want to have to be able to house him at 4'!!! Jeez! I would need a tank the size of my apartment :p and I am not a great swimmer, so that would be inconvient. :D

What should I do with him? I really would prefer not take him back to the lfs, and my friend who I thought was going to be getting a huge tank in a month or so killed off about a dozen fish already, and he is too stuborn to listen to me and come on here to get help... so I dont want to give my shark to him for obvious reasons....

Whether it will actually reach 4 foot or not really depends on the exact species,some of the smaller species of shark cat only reach 10".But they do all have a need for increasing ammounts salt in their water,eventually going into a full marine set up.They are also all carnivors with older specimens almost exclusively eating fish,and believe me even a 10" catfish can and will take quite large tankmates,anything less than half the size of the cat will be food.

This just goes to show that you cann't allways trust what the 'salesman' in the lfs sometimes tell you :grr:

.....but on the plus side its a great lesson in throughly researching the fish you are interested in and making sure you will be capable of keeping them properly.....

This is a lesson for everyone!....never buy a fish on impulse unless you are sure of what it is and its requirements... :thumbs: B) ;)

:)

wetwetwet said:
This just goes to show that you cann't allways trust what the 'salesman' in the lfs sometimes tell you :grr:
to make that point even more clear. I recently went back to that same store and asked the guy what I could put in a 2.5 gal tank with 2 dwarf puffers (now 1) and he said one of the silvertipped sharks would do fine...!!!!!?!!?! :lol: 4' long in a 2.5 gal tank... ummmmm... no!

Most reactions

Back