My RO unit has arrived!

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered my RO unit and it arrived today :) Its a fair bit bigger than I was expecting but it does fit where I want it to. I've got a new three way tap so need to get a plumber in to fit that for me (when it arrives), so I'll have 1 tap for cold, 1 for hot and 1 for filtered.

938B7B5C-E34B-4A22-A851-C3DAB348FF1B_1_105_c.jpeg

One thing I have noticed is there are 2 filters on the top that I was not expecting. One is called a remineralising filter and the other is coconut carbon filter - my instinct is to just remove these? What do you think?

E7C3A983-022A-476A-AA5C-2DED19638AED_1_105_c.jpeg
CD644728-2C03-40BB-9E96-C2EE3ADAE80B_1_105_c.jpeg

In terms of making the switch I'm hoping to get the ball rolling asap. How would you transition the tank to RO? I'm going to be using Salty Shrimp KH and GH+ which will let me achieve what ever levels I want. My aim is to have 10Gh and 5Kh (the buffer adds .5Gh for every 1 Kh). My tapwater is around 16Gh and 3Kh. When I'm set up I was thinking of doing 20% daily water changes for a week?

At the moment I have 6 Amano shrimp in who I've had for about 7 months, tank is heavily planted and the filter presumably has some level of bacteria in there too all of which I'd like to protect while I do it. I am due to go get some fish next Friday but I'm tempted to delay this until the water is level and stable? Has anyone else transitioned from tap to RO with fish in the tank?

Wills

Congrats! I got an RO system 8 years ago for some plants I grow, but the tap into the kitchen proved to be the most important spigot. They tent to be easy to maintain and are well worth it for the choices they provide you.

The one thing I would caution is to keep light off of them. Especially that first pre-filter where you have the clear housing will grow algae very fast. They are all manufactured for "under sink" with the assumption there will be no light reaching them.

Other than that, they are great!

Most reactions

Back