My Platy Looks Like She's Going To Burst.

xoemiweexo

Reaction score
i have 1 sunburst platy that looks like shes going to pop. her tummy's huge. probably full of kiddys. but i just want to make sure she is. so..what im asking is...is there any way to make sure she wont abort and can you tell me the characterisitics of pregnant platies?

thanks! :D

ok
make sure she lives a stress free life, no hassles from any males, lots of hiding places and good diet with veg i use cucumber, peas and spinach, also give frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. make sure the lights are on for 12 and off for 12hrs, platys tend to give birth at night. above all dont move her esp near the end of her pregnancy. hth Donna :)

With platys u can sometimes see eyes nr the rear end of the fish, however this is not always the case, with sunsets i belive it quite difficualt to see them coz of the colouration.

oh yeah, i bet she's preggo!! i'm guessing she's not alone, so i would suggest putting her into a breeding net to separate her so that the other don't eat the little ones. she probably won't eat them while she's giving birth..although they do eat some on occasion, which are typically assumed to be the ones who won't live anyway.

sometimes you can see that they are about to give birth (within minutes) when their egg hole is somewhat protruding, although you can't always tell! best to put her separate until those babies come out! also, she will sometimes try to hide or swim with her tail up and head down for gravity to help push them out. aww, i miss having platies!!

haa,
yeaah i think she is pregnant.
mine looked like it was about to burst.
but i wasnt quite sure if she was pregnant.
so i wasnt expecting them
and i had her in a seperate tank with a female guppy.
cos i thought the guppy was ppreg but it wasnt. and after about 2 weekss.. i found 4 baby plattys in the tank
the rest must of got eaten. i would suggest using a breeding trap cos with my guppies i used it, worked out completely fine.
goodluck.
xo

Most reactions

Back