My Planted Tank.

Shirako

Reaction score
I have had my tank for around 6 months now, still kind of new to it all, but here is a link to my fish tank as it is currently set up, I would appreciate any help and advice on how to make it look better.
Current specs are 2 penguin bio-wheel systems, one new and one older.
The fish I have are
2 neon tetras
2 high fin black skirt tetras
A giant pleco
2 Cory's
3 Kuhlie Loaches
1 Banjo Catfish
2 Striped raphael catfish.
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Shirako3/FishTank/
I had to start over after a huge ammonia spike a few months ago, lost most of my tetras, was able to save the pleco, the 2 raphael cats and 2 tetras, and now the tank is up and running better than it was before.

How many gallons? I would up the number of tetras, they are much happier in groups.

Hello...

In image 100_0295, the long thing at the back of your tank that is suckered to the glass (greyish at the bottom, reddish at the top).... is that your heater???

Andy

Well after the ammonia spike, I lost all my tetras except 1 neon and 1 high fin black skirt, so I went out and bought 2 more of each, but somehow 1 of each died, I just havent gotten new guys yet, I originally got the tetras to help cycle to tank.
And yes that is the heater.

Well after the ammonia spike, I lost all my tetras except 1 neon and 1 high fin black skirt, so I went out and bought 2 more of each, but somehow 1 of each died, I just havent gotten new guys yet, I originally got the tetras to help cycle to tank.
And yes that is the heater.

You shouldn't use tetras to cycle your tank. they are very delicate. More hardy fish like platys, guppies etc are better.

Also Tetras like to school and therefore they should be kept in groups of 6 minimum, preferably 10 or more IMO

Guppies aren't too hardy these days, either, I suggest Zebra Danios, one of the hardiest fish around. You should get 3 to cycle, and if you decide you like them, definately get more, because they like being in schools.

Guy at the pet store told me I should start cycling with Tetras, lol but now the tank is fully cycle so no worries, also didnt lose any fish when I first put the tetras to cycle it 6 months ago.

You 'might' have a 'special' heater, so correct me if i'm wrong, but heaters (per se) should not be mounted vertically. Change the orientation so that it is at an angle of about 45°, i.e. from | to /. Have it so that there is a gap between it and the substrate.

The reason for attaching heaters at an angle is so that as the heated water rises it does not go straight past the thermostat.

Andy.

Got it, changed it to an angle, thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

Back