My Nitrite Spike

Zak2401

Reaction score
Okay, 9 days through cycle. i think ivehad my ammonia spike, although i kept it below 0.5 at all times. I believe now my nitrite is spiking, its been 0 for 7-8 days, now its above 0.5, could even be 1. i do water changes every day, well i have been since my ammonia was high, now thats dropped to 0.

I have a 10 gallon tank, with sand on the bottom, an airpump, some real plants, and hiding places.

In my tank are 7 fish, i first added;

2 small platies,
1 long fin WCMM
1 Red ram
1 Dwarf pegasus ( Or something simalar )

2 days later, I added ;

red tailed black shark

the next day i added;

Siamese fighting fish/Betta.

I know, i added them all to quick, and so on, but they are doing fine at the minuite.

So, now my nitrite keeps shooting up, im just hoping it goes down soon.

Also, is it normal to experience a nitrite spike after 9 days? i added 'Tetra Safe Start' so i'm asuming that sped it up?

Anyway, am i doing things right?

Okay, 9 days through cycle. i think ivehad my ammonia spike, although i kept it below 0.5 at all times. I believe now my nitrite is spiking, its been 0 for 7-8 days, now its above 0.5, could even be 1. i do water changes every day, well i have been since my ammonia was high, now thats dropped to 0.

I have a 10 gallon tank, with sand on the bottom, an airpump, some real plants, and hiding places.

In my tank are 7 fish, i first added;

2 small platies,
1 long fin WCMM
1 Red ram
1 Dwarf pegasus ( Or something simalar )

2 days later, I added ;

red tailed black shark

the next day i added;

Siamese fighting fish/Betta.

I know, i added them all to quick, and so on, but they are doing fine at the minuite.

So, now my nitrite keeps shooting up, im just hoping it goes down soon.

Also, is it normal to experience a nitrite spike after 9 days? i added 'Tetra Safe Start' so i'm asuming that sped it up?

Anyway, am i doing things right?

There are a few problems with the fish you have in there but you sia you already know about that. Products like safe start are a waster of time in my opinion, the bacteria needed will have died at transportation temperatures so i don't think it would have sped anything up.

andrew

Research the fish before you buy for tank size, adult size and if they are compatable with the fish you keep.
Yes you have added to many fish to soon.
The betta will nip long flowing fins so buy a tank of his own.
I would take the shark back the tanks to small it needs at least a 40 gallon tank.

Most reactions

Back