My nightmare! This is an absolute nightmare!

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi TFF, today I just wanna show this nightmare to you guys.
Yep I listen to Fish store before I join the forum
It’s basically 45 gal with a stocking of
1 angelfish
2 kubotai loaches
1 clown loach
2 albino pleco
1 normal pleco
1 L001 pleco
2 Black ghost knifefish
2 silver dollar
1 Clown knifefish

I know you guys gonna tell me to giveaway all these fishes but my friends and all of people I know and fish store keep arowana in 20 gal tank and knifefish in 10 gal tank and 3 big turtle in 30 gal tank
Basically, all of my friend (and all of fish store customers) listen to the fish shop sadly.
Here you go, me confessed my nightmare tank.
403E9165-FBDF-4330-B9BD-A8AAB79385C3.jpeg

Wow! :blink:

Don’t listen to that fish store no more!

At least you are aware and now know you have a some stocking issues with your fish, especially those knife fish.

Tbh I loathe fish stores stocking knife fish, beautiful and mesmerising they way the swim but sadly not really suitable for the novice fish keepers and certainly not suitable for small aquaria.

What are your plans with your current livestock?

Wow! :blink:

Don’t listen to that fish store no more!

At least you are aware and now know you have a some stocking issues with your fish, especially those knife fish.

Tbh I loathe fish stores stocking knife fish, beautiful and mesmerising they way the swim but sadly not really suitable for the novice fish keepers and certainly not suitable for small aquaria.

What are your plans with your current livestock?
I’m saving money to buy bigger tank.

In Thailand, no ones know about Gh or kh or even ph, the only thing they know is get a tank keep any fish
They are you know, an “old school fish keeper”
Some people here still do a water change per year, scary

here is a link to my post about the fish market in my country
Sorry for bad grammar btw.

In Thailand, no ones know about Gh or kh or even ph, the only thing they know is get a tank keep any fish
They are you know, an “old school fish keeper”
Some people here still do a water change per year, scary

That’s unfortunate but sadly not that uncommon in certain countries, Thailand won’t certainly be the only country that has practices like this :/

But hopefully folks like yourself are becoming more aware that fishkeeping is just not as simple as all that and perhaps pass on what you’ve learned to others to educate better fishkeeping practices.
Having said that I think a lot of the old timers will likely ignore this and stick to their ways as they’ve been doing this for many years but the younger generation certainly can learn from people like yourself.

Good luck in getting a bigger tank for your fish and sorting out your current livestock, hopefully won’t be too much trouble.

You've some very nice fish there. I thought my LFS would be the most trustworthy place for advice but was soooo wrong. We can only do our best with the knowledge we have.

I just wanted to say please don't feel the need to apologise for grammar. You're typing in a second language & I think your English is great. I used to teach English in China, and I saw how difficult a language it is to learn. I speak 2 languages myself and in my non-primary language (Irish) my grammar & spelling are a bit poor. But I do my best and the more I use the language the more I learn.

Well this is the reason I dont use reddit, there’s a subreddit Called sh**tyaquarium (go look into it, scary and toxic community of reddit) that condemned people who do something wrong with aquarium, even noob is judged by everyone there, this is reason I dont use reddit.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart @AilyNC @JuiceBox52
I feel like learning new thing from the forum and have no one to judge is better in everyway.

Reddit is a terrible place for information. I once saw someone suggest someone else to add some guppies to their bettas .5g bowl, because “bettas get bored/lonely, and they need some company”. Yeah right... :(

That tank literally made me cringe.:blink::unsure:

Reddit is a terrible place for information. I once saw someone suggest someone else to add some guppies to their bettas .5g bowl, because “bettas get bored/lonely, and they need some company”. Yeah right... :(

That tank literally made me cringe.:blink::unsure:
Another reason I dont use reddit
they judge other but not em self

Good for you for realizing you made some beginner mistakes and making a plan to rectify the situation. And that's a great thing about this forum - as long as you're willing to learn, everyone here is willing to help!

You have some beautiful fish and they will look even better once in an appropriate sized tank :)

Reddit is full of people that have learned wrong and have terrible advice. That’s why I don’t use things like FaceBook and Yahoo Answeres, they are terrible.

Reddit is full of people that have learned wrong and have terrible advice. That’s why I don’t use things like FaceBook and Yahoo Answeres, they are terrible.
And toxic community and inappropriate stuff.

I guess when your fish are still small, your tank still can accomodate them.
But once they grow larger, you will start to have problem.

Anyway, don't feel too bad about it now.
You can start to plan now of how/what you are going to do with them in thr future.

It's either you give them away or get a bigger tank plus getting more companions for some that require to be in group.

Watch out for your Angel fish and Knife fish that can be aggressive.
Clown loach and some Plecos will grow large.

Last edited:
Hey! As someone who also started out with a severely overstocked tank (and am halfway through the process for adequate sizing) I know how scary it can be to put yourself in communities with the fear of backlash! After I saw the Reddit community, I was also nervous to get into the online community. But the people here were so kind and empathetic and it makes it so much easier to learn and grow when you have kindness! Your fish are all beautiful and I'm so excited to see the update when you get a better tank! Best wishes! :D (And by the way, your english is great!)

Hi TFF, today I just wanna show this nightmare to you guys.
Yep I listen to Fish store before I join the forum
It’s basically 45 gal with a stocking of
1 angelfish
2 kubotai loaches
1 clown loach
2 albino pleco
1 normal pleco
1 L001 pleco
2 Black ghost knifefish
2 silver dollar
1 Clown knifefish

I know you guys gonna tell me to giveaway all these fishes but my friends and all of people I know and fish store keep arowana in 20 gal tank and knifefish in 10 gal tank and 3 big turtle in 30 gal tank
Basically, all of my friend (and all of fish store customers) listen to the fish shop sadly.
Here you go, me confessed my nightmare tank.View attachment 113814
Nope nope nope, black ghost knifes cant be kept together...territorial...plecos....same if the tank is that small.
I have a black ghost knife and 2 common plecos but in a 135 gallon and will go bigger as they upgrade...I also have an angel fish and 5 Oscar's in there...I'm looking at 400 plus gallons next...your tank is way way too small...blk ghost knifes are pure carnivorous and need hiding places as well as the plecos...tank is wrong.
Stock is wrong.
Scape is wrong....wrong wrong wrong....

Most reactions

Back